View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
A little girl playing with dolls
Crimson Rose's Primary Pirate Info
Awards Showcase
Pirate Resolution Award Riddle Winner's Award Guess The Picture Winner's Award If I Ruled The Caribbean.. Participant's Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Design A Weapon Participant's Award Leap Year Award 2012 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood: Creative
Crimson Rose is a pirate wannabe
Being a student of history, and having written articles for several history magazines, I'm stuck with knowledge of the inaccuracy of these POTCO ships.

The brig is the largest ship? Howcome? Brigs were smaller ships, not used in a fleet, more often used for patrolling and in-shore work. Frigates were larger ships, the largest below a ship-of-the-line. In fact, they were actually rated as 6th-rate (the lowest rating) battleships, whereas brigs were not rated at all.

Frigates had three masts, not two. Further, I have never seen a picture of a sailing ship that looks anything like the POTCO frigate. It is unrealistic and frighteningly UGLY!

The Tally-Ho type warships are proper frigates, not ships-of-the-line. It might be interesting - but probably unrealistic for the Caribbean - if POTCO did actually include a proper 2-decker 64- or 74-gun ship of the line. Or even a 50-gun 5th-rate. Just as long as the pirates can't get their hands on them.

Crimson Rose