View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Penguin Pirate
Sven Niscadae's Primary Pirate Info
Awards Showcase
Pirating To The End Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2013 Award Super Secret Ninja Cowboy Hausfrau 2013 Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Patriotic Pirate's 2013 Award World Parrot Day 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award 
Total Awards: 41

My Mood: Tired
Sven Niscadae is well renown pirateSven Niscadae is well renown pirateSven Niscadae is well renown pirateSven Niscadae is well renown pirateSven Niscadae is well renown pirateSven Niscadae is well renown pirate
Quote:
Note carefully, that when you pan the camera view, you completely botch the compass along with it. You no longer can use the four triangles to estimate if your gunners can still hit, until you reset the view properly by pressing the up arrow key.
I admit that I do mouse look all of the time when sailing but doing so doesn't ruin (at least not for me) using the compass to aim at targets. You just need to re-orient your brain and spin the imaginary lines around. Using the dots in the corners of the compass (look like mounting points e.g. bolts?) does help find the edges of where you can be assured firing range, but it's possible to find the same angles based on how your ship's icon is oriented. The theory should stay the same, it's just that the ships (including yours) spin with it. I never really seem to have a problem using the compass to aim or orient the ship for gunners.

I do agree, though, that only using what you see in 3D isn't a smart way to sail. The compass acts as a radar and when navigating in any game that offers one, it's essential to proper strategy and knowing/predicting your enemies' whereabouts and intentions.