View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Has Walked The Plank!
Edward Edgemenace's Primary Pirate Info
Awards Showcase
Patriot Pirate's 2010 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Valentine's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

Edward Edgemenace is a pirate wannabeEdward Edgemenace is a pirate wannabe
Sailing by COMPASS

This guide is meant as a supplement to the utterly fantastic Ship and Sailing Guide. Specifically, it is about the COMPASS.

In every way, the compass is the most important part of the game, Pirates of the Caribbean Online. A casual observation of game play, will result in the obvious conclusion that version zero, was the compass only. The 3-D stuff was all added later, yet the game servers still "see" or "know" only about the compass view (with only nominal numeric characteristics of each "dot" on the compass.)

Many areas of the game are affected by "lag" or slowness, but rarely are updates to the compass similarly affected...even then, only when a great deal of cheating is going on. What you see in the compass, is what the game server sees. What you see rendered in 3-D is usually an after-the-fact animation of an event or action.

But this guide is a quick and easy overview, of SAILING only, using the compass only. Some people will still prefer to use the right mouse button to confound their view of enemy targets, but hopefully they will also gain some insight, from this.

Importance

Tia Dalma gave you the compass when you were level 1, instantly making your notoriety jump to level 2. Despite the "casting of claws" and prophesies about "destiny" the compass still is downplayed. But Tia doesn't tell you just how essential it is to good sailing in POTCO.

You are told that townspeople are green, enemies are red and allies are blue. You are told that rectangles are magical portals and maybe that yellow dots are probable quest objectives. The insipid yellow arrow leads your way on the ground and on the compass at first, thankfully going away after the first few quest items are done.

But all the drama around the prelude, barely touches on the importance of the compass. In normal sailing, it is best to use only what is reported by the compass. The visual rendering of a phantom's bearing and direction are flawed, but the compass view is never in error in that regard.

The compass appears in the top 130x140 pixels of your screen. One crucial aspect that Tia does not teach you about, it the bottom left corner of the compass. There are two circles, "-" and "+" that when clicked, zoom the compass in or out. Pressing "-" or "_" on the keyboard, or "-" on the numeric keypad will also zoom out. Pressing "=" or "+" on the keyboard or "+" on the numeric keypad will also zoom in.

Also note that the area of POTCO you are in, or the island you are on, or the building you are inside, appears at the bottom of the compass.

Another thing Tia doesn't tell you, is that when your chat window goes nuts, you can type "C" to make the compass come back. You can also click on your sea chest to bring it back.

Journal

When you are on a quest for a specific ship, the JOURNAL is your worst enemy. With tracking on, the enemy ship will display as a single yellow dot, making it essentially impossible to battle that enemy ship by compass. Type J to open journal, then click TRACK to turn it off. Now instead of one useless yellow dot, you have two red dots, the front one being a little bit triangular.

Aiming Broadsides

When sailing, if you picture this imaginary red line across the middle of your compass, you fire your broadsides when enemy red dots touch that line. The second image with the yellow lines, shows my approximation of what the "spray" angular range is, for most ship's broadsides. The third picture shows a ship I sunk with broadsides, right before firing (at the very top of the angular range of the light galleon I was driving at the time.)

Note that sloops aim their broadsides about 5 degrees "forward", galleons about 5 degrees "aft." The larger ship classes have slightly (negligible) more angular range, but the basic theory remains the same. Shoot broadsides when enemy dots are on the imaginary line.

Gunners

I recieve many compliments on my driving in ship vs. ship (SvS.) This is because I gear my driving towards giving my gunners a clean shot. It makes everything more fun, for everyone on board. When driving a frigate (of any class,) I essentially ignore the negligible front guns, most of the time. Less than 1/3rd of the guns on a frigate face forward - that means 2/3rds of the crew on board get very bored very quickly if you over-emphasize the front guns. The front guns themselves have absolutely pathetic angular range. So, keeping battles to the sides of the ship, more gunners get to shoot at targets, therefore more people have fun. The side guns on a frigate have comparable angular range to sloops and galleons.

Pictured here, is my approximation of the range my gunners have (no matter what boat class or size.) The little triangle thingy in the orange circle, is what I use, to line up on. If ahead of that triangle, most gunners will not be able to hit it (so turn, fool!) Again, this is true for sloops, galleons and frigates.

Note that gunners have no real range limitations. Round shot can hit targets 1.5 to 2 compass widths away from your ship's blue dots. Thunderbolt can hit enemies that are fully three compass widths away, since the ammo itself does aiming correction (voodoo lightning magic?) Chain shot, grapple hooks and explosive can reach enemies up to 1/2 a compass width away. Grape shot and grenades can reach enemies 1/4 a compass width away from you.

Broadsides Distance

The first two miss, the third one hits. Light class ships have less broadside range than regular class; regular class has less range than war class. But the difference is negligible, most of the time. If the enemy red dots are touching the edge, they are out of range. If they have one imaginary red dot of space between the edge, then you can hit.

Distance estimates are very important in regular plunder sailing. Most of the time, you do not want to come near the enemy ship. The closer to the edge of the compass you keep them, the more they have to chase you, therefore the less you get hit (if at all.) When you give your gunners a clean shot, they will "call" the enemy ships straight to you, so you can get your broadsides in. But keeping your crew happy, means you sink many more ships and get much more gold (especially with the captain's bonus.) With a happy crew, they will keep coming back to your ship (getting you to maximum gold faster than you can image.)

Mouse

If you need to pan the camera view with the right-mouse button, press the up arrow (or "W" if using WASD) to re-orient the compass. In sailing, that starts you forward again, so you may need to keyboard-mash the down arrow to stop. Remember to spin the mouse wheel out when you first take the wheel to see a larger area. Remember to spin the mouse wheel in, when getting lag-bombed in SvS (usually doesn't help, but 2 times out of 10, does.)

Note carefully, that when you pan the camera view, you completely botch the compass along with it. You no longer can use the four triangles to estimate if your gunners can still hit, until you reset the view properly by pressing the up arrow key.

Bad Driving

Ever go out to level up your cannons, by boarding a public ship? Too often, you will find the captain is a "jouster" who drives his ship straight at an enemy, then does a drive-by broadsides shot. Why they open their ship to public, is a mystery...they obviously don't want company, or are afraid their cannoneers will steal rep. Maybe, they aren't trying to be mean and are clueless, but the end result is the same - get off their boat as fast as you can.

Fun

While it could maybe be better, sailing is still the best part of POTCO. Enjoy it. The more, the merrier. The new PUBLIC boarding helps, but a million times better, is CREW MATCHING. When you crew up with randoms, you tend to get more people your level, fewer people who are clueless or malicious. So, open your friends list by typing "F", then set it to CREW, then in crew options click RECRUIT. Keep the enemy ships close to the edge of your compass and watch them sink, one after the other. Then pass the rum around and have a good time, with lots of gold and lots of reputation points for everyone.