View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Agile, Holstile, & Senile
Tuefenhandel's Primary Pirate Info
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Design A Sail Participant's Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Super Stitious Participation Award 
Total Awards: 6

My Mood: Angry
Tuefenhandel is a pirate wannabe
I have both a War Frigate (Level VI Skulls and Bones), and a War Brig (Level IV Fortune Hunter). To me the "best" ship is the one that give me the best opportunity to achieve my goal. For the record, I also have a War Sloop (Level IV Storm Chaser).

Initially, I wanted the "full set" of upgraded ships. Now that I have reached that goal, I am starting to lean more towards the War Frigate. The reason might surprise you.

What I have found is that it takes a LOT of time to fill the last 8 cargo spots on the War Brig (which holds 24, compared to 16 for the Frigate and Sloop). After spending a week closely watching the time it takes to full the 24 spots on a rare materials run, the returns do not warrant the time being invested. This is partly due to the fact that at least 1-2 of the final 8 cargo spots will be locked with a loot or loot skull chest. IMO the loot chests are not as valuable as the cargo that is displaced in this position (think of it as an opportunity cost, or what is the value of what would have fit in the hold if the loot chest was not there).

So, I can draw hunters roughly 33% faster with a War Frigate than I can the War Brig - and I can "top off" the cargo hold 33% faster (16 vs. 24). Again, after closely monitoring the returns (total gold) against the time it takes to fill I happen to think that the War Frigate is the more valuable option when making mat runs.

Also, it has been my observation that the returns on a mat run (when going for gold) are equal to a straight gold run based on the amount of time. Of course, this depends on how effective your crew is with regards to how quickly your crew can sink the war ship.