View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 AM
---
Captain Del's Primary Pirate Info
Awards Showcase
Pirating To The End Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Happy Holidays'11 Award Halloween'11 Award Summer Party Participant's Award Book Title Participation's Award Patriot Pirate's 2011 Award 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: Savvy
Captain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this farCaptain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this farCaptain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this farCaptain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this farCaptain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this farCaptain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this farCaptain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this farCaptain Del must be getting help from Tia Dalma to get this far
When it comes to comparing ships to see which is better, it comes down to the customization of your ship, the skill of the pirate, and most importantly, the style to which the pirate sails.

Take for example my prized Victory Shark War Frigate. I've spent a good amount of gold getting her supped up to help lead her in to battle - I went ahead with reinforcing her panels and giving his a Take Cover boost, which combined with my Offensive-Crew-Styled skill set up (mainly focusing on Open Fire, Taskmaster, and other skills that will optimize shooting for me partners), and the fact that the War Frigate is made to be a tank to begin with, creates for one beast of a battle ship. I'm confident that once I gather enough materials and pimp her out to her fullest ability, she'll be strong enough to take down waves of Bounty Hunters with ease (as if she already doesn't!)

On the opposite side of the spectrum, we have my Victory Shark War Sloop. Given the fact that the War Sloop has a far advantage when it comes to speed, but lacks when it comes to armor, I want to make sure that while I give her a little move upward in her sails, I also want to beef her up a bit to make sure she can stand on the seas long enough to take out her foes, without having to rely too much on just being fast. Being an SvS ship, I want to make sure to not give her any specific modifications that make one sole thing incredibly stronger than all the others - it's good to realize sooner or later that having too much of one strength makes you weak overall in privateering.

Now, what would happen if I took these two ships and threw them in to battle with one another? That would be an unfair disadvantage to the War Frigate, as it is designed specifically for fighting large groups of NPC ships - meanwhile, the War Sloop is designed to target player ships, which are much more different in battle. Just because the War Sloop would win in that matchup does not make it a better ship - it just makes it a better ship for privateering.

Thusly, trying to compare a War Brig (which is made for an even balance between cargo, firepower, and speed) and a War Frigate (which focuses on brute strength) in respective realms is always a challenge. Though there is not as much of a contrast as between the Frigate and the Sloop, two extremes on either side of spectrum, it's still unfair to say that "which would win in the fight" automatically makes the victor the better ship.

In the end, it all comes down to the style of the player. I never intend on buying a War Brig, but that doesn't mean I'll criticize you if you decide to buy one - I just see it as a challenge

P.S. War Galleons are just plain bad though