View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 AM
Bring me that horizon!
Tiberius Fireskull's Primary Pirate Info
Awards Showcase
Pirating To The End Award International Literacy Day 2013 Award Pirate Resolution Award Happy Holidays'12 Award Patriot Pirate's 2012 Award Guess The Picture Participant's Award St. Patrick's Day 2012 Award Caption Contest Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 35

My Mood: Shots
Tiberius Fireskull is a buccaneerTiberius Fireskull is a buccaneer
It's interesting. I've seen so many people online today that I thought had disappeared forever. Of course, I'm not surprised. This news is spreading like wildfire to all those who ever played this game. I suppose it shows how truly shocked, hurt, or angry we might be over this news.

While I'll probably post something more thoughtful later, I feel the need to say something here and now.

I, like most, am not surprised that POTCO is finally coming to its end. I think we all knew in our guts that the game wasn't going to last too much longer, but just days after the release of Infinity is still shocking. You'd think that they would at least wait a few months to see how Infinity is doing before deciding to shut down all of their other online games (minus Club Penguin). Not only is it insensitive and uncaring to those that play these other games, but it seems a bad business move to me. I'm sure some will switch to Infinity, but I'm fairly sure that many players, if not most, will simply get annoyed and move on. As cold as it sounds, I almost hope that Infinity ends up being a bust just so that Disney can realize what a silly move they made. I for one, will not consider playing it. I probably will end up staying away from Disney games from now on completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarribeanThunder View Post
And a month-prior notice of the game closing? In my eyes, that just says they really want the games off their hands as soon as possible. At least a three month notice would've been nicer.

What's even worse is they do this after a nice weapon giveaway. It was great and all, but if the game was so close to closing anyway, what was the point in even wasting the effort?
In regards to the first part, I completely agree. More than that, it makes me wonder (with a great degree of certainty) if players' UA money went past POTCO and into creating Infinity. In that sense, we weren't even paying for our own game; instead, it's almost like we were unknowingly paying for POTCO to be shut down. It definitely does feel like we've been taken advantage of to an extent.

In regards to the second part, I almost wonder if the POTCO team wasn't told. It sounds unlikely, but everything was normal business until today. There was almost nothing to show that the game would suddenly be shut down so suddenly.

But alas, the decision is made. I doubt that any amount of petitioning or protesting will change this... infuriating decision.

I decided to go online today, to see my pirates again. At least now that I have UA again, I can dress them in their finest garb and see them as they were at their peak. I had the opportunity to visit some of my favorite spots in the Caribbean and do a bit of plundering, which felt nice. It's hard to believe that I won't be able to do that again. I had even planned on returning for next summer and spending a few months playing the game that had meant so much to me. So much for those plans, then.

I had imagined for a while how POTCO would finally go. I always imagined that it would be more peaceful. Instead, it and its fellow Disney games are simply being tossed aside like trash. "Trash" that meant so much to so many of us.