Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   There's a potential new game in town. (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40444)

ukebec 09-21-2013 06:30 AM

There's a potential new game in town.

I ran across a post on another PotCO forum from a fellow PotCO pirate who also happens to be a game developer. He doesn't want to let the game go any more than a lot of us do. So he and a team are actively working to make a new pirate game, which they're calling Pirates of the High Seas.

They're currently soliciting ideas for island names. They've already published very basic ship designs that they intend to incorporate into the game...and there are 11. Schooners, Brigands and Dutchflutes in addition to Sloops, Galleons, Frigates and Brigs and others. They will be customizable. And there won't be a cap on how many ships a pirate can own.

It's a very audacious plan. But it's a former PotCO player who also knows how to make games but he needs feedback, participation, help and support.

If this were just any outsider vulture who was swooping in, trying to collect the pickings of Pirates players who are now adrift, I wouldn't care. But this is someone who sailed the same seas we did and wants to make a new game that incorporates all that we loved and all we wanted.

First and foremost, NO! He's not using Panda3D as the platform. I know nothing about gaming platforms, but his team is using Unity, which people outside of his team have said is a good stable platform, without the lag and memory leak issues PotCO suffered from.

Just before I came here to make this message he posted a picture of a cube...just a grey cube. But it was standing at the edge of an island, with the sea in front, and another island in the distance (which will be Tortuga), and looking at it made me think I was on Outcast. It reminds me so much of a spot on Outcast Isle where you could fight Stumps to either side. The island itself, and the sea are rendered really well. There's no vegetation, but this team has literally only been working on this for 2 days, yet they've already created something that looks astonishingly like PotCO! http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...lopmentpic.png

You can stay updated with their progress there. He's not been coy about what this will entail - this is going to cost real money to make happen. They'll start a Kickstarter funding drive once they get to the point of needing to hire 3D artists and musicians...making a game isn't cheap.

Anyway, that's my two gold pieces. I think this is a highly worthy project and I'm doing everything in my power to support it.

HammyTheSquirrel 09-21-2013 03:14 PM

This looks awesome! I'll definitely be supporting this project as much as I can. :buds:

Platinum Pirate 09-21-2013 04:03 PM

I'm aware of the issue. Doing that is a tall order. I don't see the point since there are other pirate games for ex-POTCO players to try out and sail with. Most POTCO players since 2008 have gone on to play WoW mostly. I haven't followed suit though I have been persuaded multiple times to do so over the years. I'm still not interested.

I liked POTCO, in particular, because of the films. As long as those characters do not exist, I'm not interested in any pirate game. The closest thing that I'm having a good time revisiting is their LEGO version. What joy! Thank goodness I bought that two years ago. It may be goofy to most of ya, but once you try it, you'll love it. Sure beats Infinity's!

That's my personal preference that I don't expect others to choose for themselves. Everyone is free to make there choices like all else in life. For those who are pursuing to develop another POTCO copycat game, good luck. Developers need investors. The ones who developed POTCO loved what they were doing and had many ideas to bring to life for us fans to enjoy. But their investors kept demanding an immediate return which some Disney overseer could not guarantee squat that they would. Whoever had oversight botched it every step of the way which ended up being frustrating to their developers, investors, and customers. Thus resulting in the game's closure.

What happened there illustrates the problem with gaming in general. Without patient investors, developers are limited with their creativity. Without paying customers, the game can't even continue to thrive while in the red. It takes a savvy overseer to make it work. That is why some games continue to thrive while others fail to last. And as long as the overseer doesn't lose heart and is passionate of the project, that overseer won't sell it at any point in time.

Let's face it, Mates, Disney intends to buy out their competition. It reminds me so much of the movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, in which a toon bought out the trolley so he can build a freeway through Toontown. They are seeking to Infinitize their competition. Doesn't matter which non-Disney online game each of you decide to play, Lord Mouse seeks to Infinitize it! They will make their toy box version as well as some mobile app. The online game they refer to is not another MMO-type. Its those little arcades Disney members play.

So take heed, Mates, we have borne witness to Who Framed Captain Jack Sparrow? ourselves. We will need to fight back to stop them in their tracks, or sails if you will. Word needs to be spread far and wide: Disney seeks to Infinitize their game. If done smartly, we will bring Lord Mouse to his knees someday. Arrgh, only a true pirate can pull that off. Hardee Harr Harr! :SkullBullet1:

CarribeanThunder 09-21-2013 09:18 PM

I have hopes for this such project. Regardless of whether or not it'll include Disney characters, I can see that this project will attempt to stay true to our original faithful game.

Good luck, Developers. I put my trust in your palms.

Bart Blueginty 09-22-2013 06:22 PM

Unity3d is quite stable I play cities in motion 2 and that runs through unity3d and I will say there is no lag problems

ukebec 09-22-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Blueginty (Post 380610)
Unity3d is quite stable I play cities in motion 2 and that runs through unity3d and I will say there is no lag problems

That's excellent to hear!

Jade Stormcastle 09-24-2013 10:46 AM

Testing there now and all I can say is it looks amazing...and it's only just begun. Thanks for this thread :piratewheelgo2:.

By the way, on the 20th of September toontown pettitions reports servers have been copied and are being brought back online by another team of developers (rewritten). I never played that game but it might mean something to someone so just offering that bit of news. Disney won't be getting a dime of my money for infinity.

Bubbazeke707 09-24-2013 12:42 PM

Any ideas of when it'll be released? I'd guess at least a year maybe. Not that I don't have faith in them, but it takes a while to make a good game. Hopefully the game will be as addicting.:12_1_138:

CarribeanThunder 09-24-2013 08:45 PM

Edward said in a recent post that he would hope to bring the game out by June of 2014. Hopefully, if all goes well, it'd be a great way to start the summer.

Chimera Doll 09-25-2013 08:23 PM

Very excited for this! :dancetl6:

andyspins 09-26-2013 07:46 PM

I've read a lot of things about the unity, and it's one of the best engines out there. From the little I've actually watched of the untiy being used, making scenery like you showed is pretty easy. That doesn't mean it looks bad though! :p I'm cautiously excited, and I might have to bookmark this.

ukebec 09-27-2013 03:55 AM

I've stumbled into being a mod on the Pirates of the High Seas forums. I'm not going to post a link, because I love this forum and I suspect it would be violating the terms here.

But what Edward and his team are doing over there impresses me a great deal. I looked into some YouTube videos that show the potential gameplay of the Unity 3D development program they're using and it's very impressive.

We've gotten a sea FPS test over there with a terrain FPS test soon to come. There's been several screenshots of the in-game environment and they're amazing, along with a beach/island/sea/sky video that looks lovely.

For former PotCO players who were frustrated with the lack of updates, lag, freezing, dicoes, etc., I would highly recommend you give this a look. This very small team is doing amazing things, but they need all the support that they can get. Their Kickstarter initiative will begin within a week.

titanic95594 10-06-2013 05:54 AM

The game "Gone Home" uses the Unity engine if anyone wants to check that out. This engine will be a major benefit to the game since it's very new, unlike Panda3D which is 11 years old...

Tobias Daggercrash 10-06-2013 08:26 AM

The game is making QUICK PROGRESS.

There's already an island test, and the game is progressing really quick.

GUI and everything is based on POTCO, so...

ukebec 10-06-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobias Daggercrash (Post 380917)
The game is making QUICK PROGRESS.

There's already an island test, and the game is progressing really quick.

GUI and everything is based on POTCO, so...

Actually those GUIS, or HUDS, are just PhotoShop place holders - it won't be anything like that in the completed game. Nor will your character be a bright pink capsule. :zn3lso: