Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Rusty Cutlass (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Retraining Guide (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16863)

Jibby 08-18-2010 08:47 AM

Retraining Guide

Ok, well, my first guide (confetti goes here) and I'll do it on retraining skills, but I'll probably need posts and stuff to help me, as I'm not really that familiar with some weapons (grenades) but you'll have to find which ones I'm not that great at (grenades) yourself! You'll probably have to help me lengthen it too, since it looks way too short to be professional.

Step 1:
Master something. I find this incredibly useful to do before retraining. You can't max blade storm with a level 17 cutlass. Go out there and master something that you think needs retraining so we can actually work with it instead of having to max hack because you don't have thrust or something.

Step 2:
Know what you want to train your weapon for. Are you a big healer? Five points into cure! Do you want to support people or be the fearless leader, it's your decision! If you're going to be killing EITC, kill them the way you want. Don't let them die knowing they weren't properly killed. So get a general sense of what your role is among your guild (if you have one) and use that to mold your weapon style. Are you big on PVP, if so, get a good doll (even though it's the hated weapon) and retrain that with I don't know, grave shackles and life drain maxed? (As you can see, I'm no doll expert)

Step 2a: Find a good weapon that you feel comfortable with and if you have, say, two repeaters, find out which one is for some situations and which one is for others. You don't wanna use unlimited steel shot on darkhart, or a banish +3 boost on a cadet. Not required, but it makes it way more fun to not be using a rusty cutlass and to be using a Corsair's Cutlass so that you can do even more damage! My cutlasses have an attack of 59 and 58, one with cleanse and one with rolling attack. So say I'm fighting a Molusk, I'd use the one with cleanse because it can get rid of grave shackles, curse, scorch, and it has life drain immunity (Sacred Cutlass).

Step 2b:
Know boosts. If you're thinking about using, say, swarm a lot, if you have a powerful doll with swarm boost, use that. Also, you don't want to be thinking that you put four points into a skill you don't even like. So find something with good boosts you like, or use something really powerful with okay boosts (I despise parry yet I have a +2 boost on it so I'm covered point-wise there).

Now, to the fun part!

The simple guide to retraining:
1. Don't read below.
2 Go to a blacksmith or one of those smith people.
3. Go to the trainer and press shift.
4. Choose which weapon to retrain.
5. Retrain it without this super awesome fantastic small guide that will certainly help.
6. Sort of profit because you didn't read the guide

Now, obviously, retraining costs money. How much? I don't know.

Welcome back, I hope you didn't sink. Oh, I know some of you have special needs, such as only fighting a certain enemy, or being a healzorzer, or using a specific weapon. IF YOU NEED A SPECIAL RETRAIN GUIDE, PM me or just post here and I'll get to work on it! YAY CUSTOM STUFFZ

Now, let's get started on the Cutlass!

Now, being your local swordsman, I like to think I know things about the cutlass that most people don't, but I don't. So I will wait for for some genius logic man to tell me this guide is all wrong.

Cutlass

Combat Skills

Hack: Don't add anything. LVL 50 Thralls are not defeated with a good hack.

Slash: Same thing as hack, this already does semi-decent-bad damage, so it's fine here.

Cleave: Can add another point, but it's not that good, I suggest putting the other point in endurance or something.

Flourish: This guy hurts. Put a big ol' 5 (hive for you POTCO maniacs) points in this guy. I'm doing a ton of damage, and I'm actually making a noticeable impact on a lot of enemies.

Thrust: This is a deadly skill. I've hit over 1000 in damage WITHOUT boosts or critical strike. Put 5 in here, you'll thank me. Not to mention it's the obvious choice.

Recharging Skills

Sweep: Seems a bit underrated, but I put 5 points in here and it's working out just fine for me. You can take those away if you want and max out parry (useless skill) if you don't want to listen to me (which you should).

Brawl: If it recharged faster it'd be great, but this thing charges like a snail. One point, but my +2 boost on it makes it do about as much damage as hack. The stun isn't really worth it either.

Taunt: One point again, fairly quick recharge, but terrible damage (duh) and it isn't worth it, IMO. You have better things to max.

Blade Storm: Put 5 points here or you are insane. I've done over 1500 damage with this with no boosts or critical damage. This skill recharges insanely fast and is just heaven.

Passives

Endurance: Health increase? I put four points (foolishly putting a point in cleave) in this and my health is off the charts good. I was over 2000 in health at around 30 notoriety. The extra point boosts it further. For people who keep dying, must max this.

Parry: I find this useless. 2% chance to block? And I feel like it only blocks a cut from an assassin, not the vipers nest. Don't put anything in this, just put a second point in cleave or brawl. Just don't use it. Now, if you are willing to spend more points on this, with 5 points and a musketeer's sabre you can block some serious hits. So, final verdict: If you don't want to spend the full 5 points, don't do it, but if you are willing to, definitely load it up.

PVP Cutlass

Combat Skills

Hack: 1 again.

Slash: 1 for this guy, you need bigger damage in PVP.

Cleave: 5! You will hit a ton more with cleave than sweep, so more damage is good here.

Flourish: 5 again, this skill should always get 5 unless you are really insistent on maxing hack.

Thrust: Max it up. This thing is so powerful, just don't question me or dog (2 on 1 wins!)!

Recharging Skills

Sweep: 2. Cleave needs the points from this. So just put a second point here.

Brawl: 1 As I said earlier, it does awful damage for the time it takes ot recharge, but it stuns, so that gets a point.

Taunt: 0 Okay, fair choice Dog. This isn't gonna hit those other pirates hard enough to work in PVP.

Blade Storm: 5. Duh. I'm not adding a description since this is just self-explanatory.

Passives

Parry: 1 In PVP, I guess the whole point is to out-damage the enemy. So just put one here.

Endurance: 5 While out-damaging people, don't die. Endurance will make you live. No, really.

All-Around Pistol

Combat Skills

Shoot: 5 points, it's like the PVP nades. You don't have to max out some other stuff because shoot will do a bunch of damage already.

Take Aim: 5 points, see shoot.

Bullets

Lead Shot: 1, this already does a bunch of damage with your shoot maxed.

Venom Shot: 1 point, same thing.

Bane Shot: 1 point, same thing.

Hex Eater Shot: 1 point, same... Just forget it. Same thing.

Silver Shot: 5 right here, kill darkhart with silver, even though he isn't a werewolf! (Or is he)

Steel Shot: 5! Don't let Man Ripper the sand crab boss beat you up anymore! Bring the pain with the max steel shot!

Passives

Sharp Shooter: 1, This'll make you miss more less, so put one point here.

Dodge: 1, just a small chance to dodge those range attacks in PVP, so just keep 1 here.

Eagle Eye: Put 5 here so you can shoot really far, great if you have a blunderbuss I guess. Or if you want to be the first pirate musket sniper.

PVP Doll

Combat Skill

Attune: Yes, a combat skill. Max this for ultimate attunage (is that a word) so whether your in team battle or mayhem you can deal out way more pain.

Spells

Poke: Two in here, it recharges quite fast so that's worth two.

Swarm: The damage is worth two, so two this one too. (Oh lol)

Heal: Max this for team battle and stuff.

Curse: 1, No damage, but it makes them die quicker so one here.

Scorch: 1, It's one of those skills you don't really pay attention to.

Cure: 5, your friends will really like you for doing that.

Grave Shackles: 5, hold them down really long then whip out bladestorm and just barrage them or something.

Life Drain: 5, duh. It drains life and gives it back to you. :D

Passives

Focus: 0, you have enough voodoo without this, and doll does not take up voodoo.

Spirit Ward: 0, Sure, it resists enemy voodoo. But it would do that to 2% of the enemy voodoo. You have better things to max.

PVP Dagger

Cut: 1 It's like maxing blast or hack. Don't.

Swipe: 1. Okay, not that much damage. I don't like it either.

Gouge and Eviscerate: Well, 0 here. I guess you really want to break those voodoo doll attunements, so no points here.

Throwables

Asp: 4, good enough damage with 4 points, and it recharges fast and breaks the voodoo.

Adder: 4, it's asp with better damage and poison! Hurray!

Throw Dirt: 1, the stun isn't that good. This is great for rep (see that person's rep guide) but not great for PVP.

Sidewinder: Max this, it will do great damage and it the animation is epic.

Viper's nest: Max this too. Lots and lots of damage, and the animation is better than sidewinder (Hard to believe).

Passives

Finesse: Putting in 5 will make the throwables recharge 35% faster, fantastic right? You put the points in the throwables, now make them charge fast!

Blade Instinct: 5, that does 25% more damage on cutlass and dagger, that's useful.

PVP Grenades

Combat Skills

Throw: 5 More points, more pain.

Long Volley: Same reason with long range.

Bombs

Explosive: It goes boom. But throw made it go boom more. So just 1.

Stink Pot: 1 here as well.

Fire Bomb: 1, Not worthy of more.

Smoke Bomb: 1, Very low damage, just keep 1 here.

Siege Charge: 5 Right here, it will hurt a lot of people.

Passives

Determination: 2, It recharges health faster. And if you didn't know, that's very good.

Demolition: 0, It's easy to live without it.

Ignore Pain: 5, This makes it so you can chuck nades at your feet all day long. (Overstatement)

Toughness: 5, This means Brawl and ALL the stun effects go away way faster. Yippee!

Staff

Combat Skill

Blast: This isn't worth a second point. At all. If you make it even 2, that's a huge waste of a skill point.

Spells

Soul Flay: Kind of good, but you're mastered before you retrain, since that's just smart, so you don't need to put a second point in this.

Pestilence: You don't really need this because it's charge time is just a bit faster than Wither. I would either put zero or one point in this, the poison isn't damaging enough for me to think it's worthy of more than that.

Wither: It's great. Five this guy. In the veteran group on KH, this is the greatest skill ever. It does good damage and the graphics are insanely cool. Not to mention it can decrease the attack power of the enemy.

Flaming Skull: Put a big 5 in here or else you are mad. It can do over 1000 damage, goes a huge distance and burns people. I must use an emote to describe it. :D

Banish: The huge amount of Voodoo this takes and the incredibly long charge makes it useless. Don't put a point in here.

Desolation: All graphics. Just put a point or two in here, because you can do some good damage with it, but it's just too damaging to you. 0-2 points.

Passives

Concentration: You could put 3-5 points in this, with 5 you will never run out of voodoo,

Spirit Lore: 3-5 points. It can make you charge way faster, and you could wither like mad. Not completely worth three, but with 0 points in pestilence, 5 in wither, 5 in skull, 0 in banish, 1 in desolation and 5 in concentration you have 14 points left. So you can put 4 or 5 in this. But if you want to damage more, put 4 in this, and put 5 in spirit mastery. Maybe you could put 3 in this to get a second in desolation to make it do decent damage.

Conservation: Put 5 points in this. This makes you use less voodoo, and the 60 voodoo on wither is hardly anything now, so you could be using, what, forty, thirty voodoo? That's good.

Spirit Mastery: 4 or 5, if you put 5 in Spirit Lore, put 4 in this. Otherwise, put 5.

All Around Cannon

Combat Skill

Shoot: 4 points, we can fire faster, which is good. I don't know, shooting things is fun, so this must make life awesome!

Ammo Types

Round Shot: 5 points, you don't need to buy anything, and with that Famed Ram with critical round shot, imagine doing a critical hit with level EIGHT round shot! Amazing, I know.

Chain Shot: 1 here, masts can die now, but you don't do anything but whack up sails with this.

Grape Shot: 0-1, What I do with this is take out the sails of something, then grape shot it for really good rep, I was getting 80+ on some corsairs. But, if you think this isn't useful enough in the long run, put this point in barrage instead.

Firebrand: 1, It's an epic ammo, just find a cajun ram and you're set with this, but you don't need to put more points here.

Thunderbolt: 5, I mean, it rocks. I've got a level 3, and with open fire I kill things like crazy. The only downside is that it carries a single shot, but the graphics are cool, it reloads at a fair pace, and the damage is great,

Explosive: 1, the damage is AMAZING, but load is deadly slow, and you fire them so short. Not to mention you can only carry 12 or so with a large barrel, so use this sparingly, as the ammo is costly and you cant get a lot.

Fury: 5, The description is "a spectral cannonball" or something, but it said "spectral"! That's an awesome word, not to mention this just kills anything, and you can hold THREE at a time, so go and kill people with this.

Passives

Rapid Reload: 5, with a master gunner's cannon ram you will dominate those reload times!

Barrage: 0-1, zero if you want to have 4-5 points in shoot, but 1 if you don't mine having 3-4.

Shrapnel: 0, it just isn't really worth it.

Remember, this guide can only be completed with your help, so post help and teach me good setups, including the following styles:
PVP Pistol
Support Doll
All-Around Doll
Throwing Dagger
Melee Dagger
All-Around Dagger
All-Around Grenades
PVP Staff
Crew Sailing
Solo Sailing
SVS Sailing
All-Around Cannon (Needs editing)
SVS Cannon (If anybody has a build for this)

Okay: here's a useless glossary which allows me to make weird jokes and be a freako.
All-Around: Means it's versatile, so it's a jack of all trades. This isn't the best if you're supposed to be the helper person in the guild, but good if you're that guy that just runs around cutting and shooting anything in your way. "Asta La Vista, bebe!"
PVP: These builds are just killer in PVP. You will just tear the competion apart. "Mr. Anderson, that, is the sound of your death." I hope I got the matrix quote right.
SVS: Something that will do great in ship vs ship, and will do help lead the Spanish/French to rule. "Me gusta Pain Aux Chocalat" I hope I got all the spanish/french right.

Also, help me by correcting mistakes, adding opinions. helping me organize, telling me good weapon types for different styles, and most of all... helping me more! Remember, I need your help! I'm drilling it into your mind! Don't forget, Jibby needs your help!

Credits:
Davy Fireskull, for posting a very long and helpful post on the Staff.
Dog Firestack, for giving me his PVP Cutlass, PVP Doll, PVP Dagger, PVP Grenade, AND All-Around Pistol builds. He deserves a vacation. Too bad summer's over.
Me: Well... duh, I made the guide and helped it not be so boring.

Tiberius Fireskull 08-18-2010 03:59 PM

Good guide Jibby. However I find parry to be quite useful. I have rank 5 parry and its about 10% chance to block... not a bad chance, plus with my musketeers sabre it can increase it to 13%. Its pretty handy if you ask me.

Totally agree with endurance. I have rank 5 endurance, and I have 3440 health, pretty sure thats the max.

Ill add a Staff guide i guess...

Blast: forget it, its the most useless skill ever, as a lv 1 who just got their sword can probably do more damage with that than a lv 30 can do with blast. Make it rank 1 or 2... its not really worth it...

Soul Flay: Maybe before you get your other skills its handy, but in the long run you wont use it much. Its worth a 1 or 2.

Pestilence: Can be quite handy because of its poison power, make it rank 2.

Wither: Now this is a good skill. Probably one of the most helpful skills to train with. I made mine rank 5, but until you are mastered, keep it at rank 3 or so, so you can still gain descent rep.

Flaming skull: King of the staff moves! When you move from training at KH to Tormenta Bridge, its a must. Not to mention that you can take out waves of Jolly's minions during invasions using this skill once or twice. Make it rank 5, but like wither, keep it around rank 3 until you are mastered, so you can still get good rep.

Banish: Meh, its OK, but there arent many good places to train on skeletons for staff, maybe a rank 2 is worth it after you mastered, and in pvp.

Desolation: I have mine at rank 2. I occasionally use it in battle, but not often. When I do use it it tends to be to show off. Its not very handy in battle considering it takes forever to charge and it can take away over half your health.

Passive Skills

Concentration: This one will increase voodoo recovery rate if Im correct. If you ask me, voodoo recharges fine, so dont bother with it. Keep it at rank 1.

Spirit Lore (Doing this from memory, thats what its called right?): This increases the charging speed of your attacks... I have a rank 2, because most people tend to train with wither and flaming skull, which charge fairly fast. Unless you use banish and desolation a lot, its not worth making it over rank 3.

Conservation: RANK 5! This skill makes it so you use less voodoo points with each doll and staff attack! Its needed for training staff, so you dont run out of voodoo surrounded by 4 angry brinescum. Make it rank 5 so you can go longer using voodoo weapons without running out.

Spirit Mastery: A good skill to retrain for after you have mastered. Because it increases damage for doll and staff, wait until you have mastered them to make it rank 3-5 so you can still get good rep while leveling it.

There is my staff retraining guide, hope it helps!

Dog Firestack 08-18-2010 04:10 PM

My PvP Sword build..

Hack 1
Slash 1
Cleave, flourish and thrust 5

Sweep 2
Brawl 1
Taunt 0
Bladestorm 5
Parry 1
Endurance 5

Endurance I heard is supposed to boost attack as well.

Dagger, maxed out, PvP Build.

1 on Cut, 1 on swipe.

4 on asp, 4 on adder.
1 on dirt.

Max Sidewinder, Vipers nest.
Max the passives.

Jibby 08-18-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davy Fireskull (Post 244656)
Good guide Jibby. However I find parry to be quite useful. I have rank 5 parry and its about 10% chance to block... not a bad chance, plus with my musketeers sabre it can increase it to 13%. Its pretty handy if you ask me.

Totally agree with endurance. I have rank 5 endurance, and I have 3440 health, pretty sure thats the max.

Ill add a Staff guide i guess...

Blast: forget it, its the most useless skill ever, as a lv 1 who just got their sword can probably do more damage with that than a lv 30 can do with blast. Make it rank 1 or 2... its not really worth it...

Soul Flay: Maybe before you get your other skills its handy, but in the long run you wont use it much. Its worth a 1 or 2.

Pestilence: Can be quite handy because of its poison power, make it rank 2.

Wither: Now this is a good skill. Probably one of the most helpful skills to train with. I made mine rank 5, but until you are mastered, keep it at rank 3 or so, so you can still gain descent rep.

Flaming skull: King of the staff moves! When you move from training at KH to Tormenta Bridge, its a must. Not to mention that you can take out waves of Jolly's minions during invasions using this skill once or twice. Make it rank 5, but like wither, keep it around rank 3 until you are mastered, so you can still get good rep.

Banish: Meh, its OK, but there arent many good places to train on skeletons for staff, maybe a rank 2 is worth it after you mastered, and in pvp.

Desolation: I have mine at rank 2. I occasionally use it in battle, but not often. When I do use it it tends to be to show off. Its not very handy in battle considering it takes forever to charge and it can take away over half your health.

Passive Skills

Concentration: This one will increase voodoo recovery rate if Im correct. If you ask me, voodoo recharges fine, so dont bother with it. Keep it at rank 1.

Spirit Lore (Doing this from memory, thats what its called right?): This increases the charging speed of your attacks... I have a rank 2, because most people tend to train with wither and flaming skull, which charge fairly fast. Unless you use banish and desolation a lot, its not worth making it over rank 3.

Conservation: RANK 5! This skill makes it so you use less voodoo points with each doll and staff attack! Its needed for training staff, so you dont run out of voodoo surrounded by 4 angry brinescum. Make it rank 5 so you can go longer using voodoo weapons without running out.

Spirit Mastery: A good skill to retrain for after you have mastered. Because it increases damage for doll and staff, wait until you have mastered them to make it rank 3-5 so you can still get good rep while leveling it.

There is my staff retraining guide, hope it helps!

Alrighty, although I will edit the guide to have some fine prints telling people about other opinions. Although I disagree with pestilence, wither charges maybe the same rate and does better damage.

Now, dog. That actually seems like it would work in PVP, adding that!

Dog Firestack 08-19-2010 12:04 PM

The reason for me for adding a cleave with 5, is because you'll get alot more cleaves than sweeps in.

Here's my grenades, for PVP, fully mastered.

Throw 5
Long Volley 5

Explosives 1
stink pot 1
Fire Bomb 1
Smoke 1
Siege Charge 5

Determination 2
Demolition 0
Max out ignore pain incase you explode yourself with nades,
and max out toughness, to make brawl go away quicker.

NOTE: Max out BARRAGE, on cannon to get the maximum siege damage.

Reason I don't use dagger skills is because I do NOT use a dagger combo as it is weak..... Sword is the much better choice.

Here's PvP Doll for me, this is like a Support and PvP doll anyways,....

Max out Attune, just in case, trust me on here, more for support.

2 on swarm, 2 on poke, most likely you have a doll with a boost in one of these,
max out heal, max out cure.

1 on curse,
1 on Scorch.
Max out Shackles! Shackles for me if it's a free for all match is a great time to unleash siege! And other long range weapons!
Max out Life drain, self explanatory.

Passives = nothing. 2% chance to resist, not worth a skill point, increasing voodoo? Doll won't take up much.

Doll for me is more of a get health more, increase damage with curse and stall them weapon.

Jibby 08-19-2010 03:58 PM

The only reason I would level grenades is to max the health recover skill and all the passives, but I'm adding more right now!

ex8404 08-19-2010 04:53 PM

I used to ignore Swarm and kept maybe 1 or 2 skill points on it. My son talked me into maxing it out just to see. I was stunned. Swarm is now at level 5 and and going to stay there. As an attack it is second only to Life Drain but recovers more than twice as fast...

A leveling guide is an ambitious undertaking. Keep it up!

Semper Fidelis

Jibby 08-19-2010 05:34 PM

Thanks ex8408 (reminds me of that song 867509 or something) and I know, I find swarm can do 700+ damage when maxed, and when I get spirit mastery for staff it'll do way more damage.

Lady Violet 08-19-2010 06:01 PM

Great guide. I cant be very helpful to you by giving any tips, because im still learning this game myself, but thank you for your awesome tips.

Dog Firestack 08-19-2010 06:08 PM

All around Pistol when maxed out, gives good damage, for PvP and quick killing enemies.

Shoot 5 ( same concept with Nades )
Take aim 5 ( read above )

1 on venom, bane and hex.
Max out silver
Max out steel for menta and animals.

Put 2 on sharp shooter, none on dodge, ( 2% chance against range, not many pistol users out there.)

Then max out eagle eye, the quicker you can fire at them, the better.

Sven Osymthe 08-19-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Put 2 on sharp shooter, none on dodge, ( 2% chance against range, not many pistol users out there.)
For PvP, having points in dodge helps. Not many use pistols, but a lot of people use daggers. I'm not sure, but dodge may also work against the new throwing knives.

Dog Firestack 08-19-2010 06:17 PM

1 on sharp shooter,
1 on dodge,

Ok Sven....

Jibby 08-19-2010 07:13 PM

Dog, do I just keep lead shot with 1?

Kid Heartbreaker 08-19-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibby (Post 244984)
Thanks ex8408 (reminds me of that song 867509 or something) and I know, I find swarm can do 700+ damage when maxed, and when I get spirit mastery for staff it'll do way more damage.

867-5309 That's Jenny's number!

Jibby 08-21-2010 05:41 AM

Anyone else got some opinions on this matter?