Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Sails and Ships (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Guide to (Rare) Materials Run (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35115)

Crimson Rose 03-03-2012 08:21 PM

Guide to (Rare) Materials Run

Okay, I've got a nice big war brig of my own, with two armour upgrades. However I'm not sure I'm ready for a materials run of my own, because I'm not sure what I'm doing. I've been on an number of materials runs in large war ships of other players, and I have a few questions. Hopefully an experienced member here can give us a guide to how to do this properly that will get stickied.

Guide should cover:

- How long should the run go on (until the treasure chests have been replaced?);
- When should you head for the edge-of-the-world;
- How do you work the edge-of-the-world thingy;
- Why do some players want to leave a hunter crippled but not sunk, and when should you do this;
- What are the best tactics against the bounty hunters?

One suggestion I have - which I've mentioned elsewhere - if at the beginning of the run you only sink cursed ships, the Navy and EITC ships will not shoot at you at the end of your trip, when you are desperately trying to avoid the hunters and dodge thru the misc. ships to get to that one open port (I think.)

Crimson Rose

Rannulf 03-04-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Rose (Post 365920)

Guide should cover:

- How long should the run go on (until the treasure chests have been replaced?);
- When should you head for the edge-of-the-world;
- How do you work the edge-of-the-world thingy;
- Why do some players want to leave a hunter crippled but not sunk, and when should you do this;
- What are the best tactics against the bounty hunters?
Crimson Rose

I will take a brief stab at ye questions and ponder a guide when I have time to properly put one together.

Ye run length is up to the Cap'n of the ship. Crates , treasure chests, royal chests , and loot pouches are dropped in-favor of ship materials, skull chests and loot chests.

I never use the edge of the world exploit. It takes forever and lacks any display of skill from the Helmsmen of the ship, so never in my book.

When ye strip the sails off the hunter when warships come is for two simple reasons. 1. When the hunter is cripple ye can focus on the warship alone and fight only one ship at a time and... 2. Rare materials chests contain more regular materials then the standard ones. Myself and a whole bunch of test pirates found this out during trial and error on test.

Each bountyhunter has its own strengths and weaknesses. so each is different. Just study there actions and adjust to counter them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Rose (Post 365920)

One suggestion I have - which I've mentioned elsewhere - if at the beginning of the run you only sink cursed ships, the Navy and EITC ships will not shoot at you at the end of your trip, when you are desperately trying to avoid the hunters and dodge thru the misc. ships to get to that one open port (I think.)
Crimson Rose

The above quote is not correct. If ye sink only skeleton ships, Hunters will not come for ye at all. If ye land but one hit on a Navy, or EITC ship ye will get a scoundrel rating, and in turn get hunters when ye plunder load is rich enough.

Fight hunters in uncharted waters, then sail those same waters away from regular ship patrol routes. When ye do head for the open port sail the waters patrolled by the small ships that do little damage to war class pirate ships.

.....and btw thank ye for the fine gunnery on a rare run I did last week!

Captain Jason 03-05-2012 03:44 AM

Actually, once you get full cargo, you get a scoundrel rating, regardless of whether or not you hit any Navy or EITC ships. After you get this far, it's all about what's in your cargo hold.

Rannulf 03-05-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jason (Post 366000)
Actually, once you get full cargo, you get a scoundrel rating, regardless of whether or not you hit any Navy or EITC ships. After you get this far, it's all about what's in your cargo hold.

Not true. No scoundrel rating is given if only ye members of Jolly Rogers Navy, not mater if full or not. Do I need to post a screen?

Crimson Rose 03-05-2012 04:14 PM

Scoundrel! I like that. I've always been a good girl ....

Crimson Rose

andyspins 03-05-2012 08:57 PM

How long should the run go: Either until you have to go or you have all materials/rare materials.

When should you head to the edge of the world: When you get the third scoundrel rating.

How does the glitch work: Sail to the edge of the world and then turn very slightly, this cause you to move sideways, with the hunters continually chasing you, and your cannons facing it.

Why do people want to cripple the hunter: They do this when warships come, this is so you can focus on the warship, not hunter.

What are some tactics: Just use the end of the world glitch.

Hope I helped!

Crimson Rose 03-06-2012 03:42 PM

On some of the runs I've been on, the Captain wants a hunter crippled early on and then left until the end of the run, at which point it will be sunk before the final run-in to port.

I have had Captains "shouting" at me (or others) not to sink a hunter, or calling people rude names if they do. Is this someone who is misunderstanding the situation?

And why, when they have had every single mast shot off, do the hunters keep moving?

Crimson Rose

Rannulf 03-06-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Rose (Post 366079)
On some of the runs I've been on, the Captain wants a hunter crippled early on and then left until the end of the run, at which point it will be sunk before the final run-in to port.

I have had Captains "shouting" at me (or others) not to sink a hunter, or calling people rude names if they do. Is this someone who is misunderstanding the situation?

And why, when they have had every single mast shot off, do the hunters keep moving?

Crimson Rose

I do not condone the name calling, but as to the other questions here ye go:

The hunters still move without sails, just like ships from the fleet, but not so fast.

The reason I sink the hunter or Coup De Grace at the end of the run is so the gunners get their rep from her. I forgot about a nice guide on another board for fighting hunters. I will post it here with the authors blessing.

Hope this helps me heartie!

Platinum Pirate 03-06-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

I have had Captains "shouting" at me (or others) not to sink a hunter, or calling people rude names if they do. Is this someone who is misunderstanding the situation?Crimson Rose

No, it's not a misunderstanding on their part. That captain is not interested in getting either Ship Materials, or Rare Ship Materials. That captain wants the other stuff and the only way to keep another Hunter from pursuing his ship is to destroy the masts and leave it dead in the water. As long as he sails within range of that stranded Hunter, that captain can safely plunder. The moment he goes out of range, that Hunter will sink and another Hunter will spawn.

HammyTheSquirrel 03-06-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platinum Pirate (Post 366104)

No, it's not a misunderstanding on their part. That captain is not interested in getting either Ship Materials, or Rare Ship Materials. That captain wants the other stuff and the only way to keep another Hunter from pursuing his ship is to destroy the masts and leave it dead in the water. As long as he sails within range of that stranded Hunter, that captain can safely plunder. The moment he goes out of range, that Hunter will sink and another Hunter will spawn.

The way I've seen the tactic used is always when there is a SOTL or a Navy Warship coming at you, then you can go for the Warships (which give the best of all materials) while the Hunter slowly pursues you. When you're done with the Warships coming at you, you sink the Hunter and head into port. This tactic is really just a way of taking them down one at a time, not so much to hold them off so you can sink ships at your leisure. This tactic is especially useful when you don't have a full crew.

andyspins 03-07-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammyTheSquirrel (Post 366118)

The way I've seen the tactic used is always when there is a SOTL or a Navy Warship coming at you, then you can go for the Warships (which give the best of all materials) while the Hunter slowly pursues you. When you're done with the Warships coming at you, you sink the Hunter and head into port. This tactic is really just a way of taking them down one at a time, not so much to hold them off so you can sink ships at your leisure. This tactic is especially useful when you don't have a full crew.

Exactly, of all the times I've done this glitch on another's ship, they do it for that reason.

Platinum Pirate 03-07-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Crimson Rose

It is based on her initial description I answered the way I did. She did not specified that they were getting Ship Materials. She wrote it as if they were getting just normal plunder. One can if they only sink skeletons. But the moment they hit one Navy or EITC, then they alert the Hunter. Some prefer to keep that Hunter mode from continuing while they sink as many Navy and EITCs as they like without being forced to prematurely port.

Of course, they used that other tactic as described in your replies. Makes it easier to sink that one giant tub. But you don't need that if you really know how to use that sea glitch. So it would help for Crimson to clarify her post before another one chimes in assuming what she meant by it.

Crimson Rose 12-29-2012 02:57 AM

Now that I've done a lot of materials runs, I understand this a lot better. Now we're getting down to the fine details.

What exactly triggers your second bone (third scoundrel rating?) Someone told me it was when you get all cargo crates replaced, but I had a situation when I got a crossbones and still had one cargo crate.

When do you not get any more materials? Apparently there are certain items that cannot be replaced by materials. I think it's loot skull chests and some other kind of chest. Can anyone be more definite?

Crimson Rose

Platinum Pirate 12-29-2012 03:32 AM

When half your cargo has any type of plunder that's a Royal Chest and above, that will activate the Hunter.

Cargo is full when all are Loot Chests or higher. Crates, Treasure Chests, Loot Pouches, and yes, Royal Chests are replaced by higher grades of plunder. You get more gold, too.

Crimson Rose 12-29-2012 02:18 PM

Thanks, I should have known that the Platinum Pirate would come through for me.