Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Sails and Ships (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   [Guide] Ship PvP (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6745)

Chris 07-24-2008 05:30 PM

[Guide] Ship PvP

Overview:
  • Choosing A Side
  • Choosing A Ship
  • Setting Sail
  • Repairing at Sea
  • Inflicting Damage
  • Sinking
  • Sinking another Ship
  • Ranks
  • SvS Points
  • Ship PvP Chat
  • Docking
  • Quests
  • Ship PvP Do's and Dont's
  • Carver's Corner: Tips, Tall Tales & Tavern Gossiping
Choosing A Side:
  • Currently there are no bonuses for choosing either side so it doesn't matter which side you choose. Remember some quests ask for you to fight for a specific side.
  • The two sides are the French and the Spanish. French ships have red white and blue sails and the ships name is blue. Spanish ships have red and yellow sails and their ship names are Yellow.
  • To be a French you must set sail from Ile D'Etable De Porc setting sail from this island will make your sails Red, White and Blue and you ships name blue. Only NPC and Spanish Ships can attack you.
  • To be a Spaniard you must set sail from Isla De La Avarcia, setting sail from this island will make you sails Red and Yellow. Only NPC and French ships can attack you.
Choosing A Ship:
  • Added Aug 4, 2008 - The Class and Style of the ship you take should reflect your crew. Meaning if you are the only person on your crew taking a galleon wouldnt be wise maybe something more of a sloop Style is better. If you have a massive crew then frigates are for you they hold lots of people with plenty of cannons to choose. If you have a small crew (2-5 pirates) but they are all really good cannoneers and have a good sailor then sloops are great! Remember the amount of pirates and the skill level of those pirates should choose the ship.
  • Sloop - Very good for PvP either alone of with a small crew. Very fast and can out maneuver the larger ships. Another plus is that it is so small making it harder for other ships to hit a sloop. Downside it is fairly weak ships and will do poorly against another sloop.
  • Galleon - In my opinion the worst class of ship to use for PvP. Galleons are very large and very bulky meaning they don't go fast and they maneuver terribly. Another negative is that they are Massive their front and rear hull are giant making a very easy target for other ships. Galleons only plus side is that they have a large cargo space however that doesn't matter in PvP since currently you get no cargo for sinking other PvP ships.
  • Frigate - A great ship for a larger crew. It is pretty low to the ocean meaning its harder to hit as well as it has the strongest hull points of all the ships. Also frigates ave forward and even Semi-backward cannons meaning they can attack or protect from almost all around. Frigates are perfect for large crews.
  • Class - Now obviously the higher the class (Light, Regular, War) the better so a War Galleon War Sloop and War Frigate would be best but some players may not be high leveled enough or may not have enough money to purchase the higher level ships. However Light sloops do amazingly well if it has a good crew.
Setting Sail:
  • Once you have your crew assembled your side chosen and your ship ready its time to set sail. Its very easy and you set sail like any other way just go to the Dinghy and press SHIFT and choose a ship.
  • If you are in the crew then go to the Dinghy press SHIFT and choose the ship that you are going on.
  • However be warned that there is a block POTCO uses it is believed that depending on the status of the server is the amount of ships allowed. Quiet servers 3-5 ships per side Ideal 5-10 so if you get a message saying this side is full you will need to wait until a ship docks that is on your team.
  • If you try to set sail and there are too many ships you will get this message. (coming soon)
  • Once you set sail you get a 30 second invincible time in which you either get to the guns or the helm and get ready to sail.
Repairing at Sea:

• You can only repair when NO ONE is at the helm anyone can repair as long as no one is sailing.
  • Repair Spots - on every ship there will be 3-4 repair spots. One in the back, One toward the left, and the last toward the right. On the ship HUD you will see a picture of a triangle to the left with 3 green bars each bar corresponds to a repair spot on the ship. The bar behind the triangle (also the smallest bar) is the Back repair spot, the bar on the right is the right repair spot, and the one on the left is the left repair spot.
  • Now to choose which to repair you want to repair the one with the least health so if you right side is gone completely you want to repair the right side repairing the left or back would be pointless.
  • To repair just go to the piles of wood, like i explained earlier there is one on the left one on the right and one in the back, and press SHIFT you guy will pull out a hammer and start banging on the wood depending on how much damage depends on how long it will take to make a full repair.
  • If you are repairing and someone takes the wheel then you will stop repairing.
Inflicting Damage:
  • You may notice that using a strong cannon will only deal a small amount of damage this is because of Ship PvP's Inner/Outer hull.
  • The Outer hull is strong hitting it with cannons will do little damage however this hull is a protective layer or "Shield" and once down is when you hit the hardest
  • The Inner hull is the weak point once you brake the outer hull sinking the ship is easy just aim for the broken areas. If you hit the inner hull your cannons will do Maximum Damage to the ship.
  • Do not worry if your strongest cannons do little damage to the opposing ship this is most likely because you are hitting the outer hull as soon as you break through though you cannons will do maximum damage
Thank you IronHawk for this information.

Sinking:
  • If at anytime the HP bar on you ship goes all the way down your ship will sink.
  • However while in PvP mode if an opposing player sinks you you will see the sinking cut-scene then you will simply re-spawn at you home island. No grogginess, No need to pay for repairs of ships, basically there is no downside to sinking except that you got beat.
  • When you sink after re-spawning you will be given about 30 seconds to get to the helm and back to the cannons until other ships can attack you.
Sinking another Ship:
  • If you manage to sink another ship you will get a money very little if the ship just sunk or if it just set sail the more ships the other ship has sunk the higher the bounty you will receive and that's all you will receive NO reputation and NO cargo.
  • Do not let this discourage you remember you also get pride you sunk another ship (unless you are a war frigate and you sunk a light sloop then that's just mean :P) you will also get a green message saying The <insert ship name here> (Insert side) sank the <insert ship name here> (insert side)
Ship PvP Chat:
  • When you set sail from one of the two Ship PvP islands you will get a a new chat selection called Privateer.
  • If you are Spanish it will say <Insert Pirate Name here>(Spanish):<insert text> The color s a light brown-ish Yellow
  • If you are French it will say <Insert Pirate Name here>(French):<insert text>
  • Chatting in this chat means only your side will hear it so if you are on the Spanish side all Spanish PvP ships in the area will hear you however the french wont. This is very useful when trying to plan an attack using multiple ships.
Docking:
  • You may dock at any island as long as you are not under attack if another ship is attacking you you cannot dock until either they sink or you are not attacked for about 30 seconds.
Quests:
  • Both sides offer quests you may get these by seeing the sides Captain.
  • For the Spanish quests you must see Garcia De Avaricia currently he offers 1 quest and that is "Getting Your Feet Wet"
  • For the French quests you must see Pierre La Porc currently he offers 1 quest and odd enough it is also "Getting your feet Wet"
Ship PvP's Do's and Dont's:
  • DO remember it is a game and have fun.
  • DO plan guild events it is great fun for either the guild to be on one side attacking the other or for you to split up and vs. each other.
  • DONT baby sit or in other words sit near the enemy island and wait for ships to either re spawn or set sail and sink them.
  • DONT be worried if you sink nothing happens you just re spawn.
Carver's Corner: Tips, Tall Tales & Tavern Gossip
Greetings mates. Carver here. If you haven't heard, Privateering has come to the Caribbean and Pirates from all walks of life have taken up the flag as Privateers. From my perch here in the Faithful Bride on Tortuga, I've managed to gather some information from good sources that may help you on the high seas:

Privateer Battle Strategies

- Looking for a dominating defensive position? Work with other Privateers flying the same flag to form a Line of Battle. This is a formation in which ships form a line from end to end and shower the opposing side with volleys of broadsides. It's an excellent way to defend your home port - and ensure you are not raining iron down on your own men.

- Before setting sail, purchase varying ammunition, such as: Firebrand, Thunderbolt, Fury, and Explosive. These munitions are especially destructive.

- The sea provides little cover but due to the unique location of the Privateer Islands, this sea has rock outcroppings that divide the two sides. Use them wisely. They provide ample cover to ambush the enemy or obstacles to make a quick getaway.

A Good Crew is the Backbone of a Successful Ship

- Crew up and join a Privateering Crew before setting sail. (Use the Crew feature to search for a crew, press "F" to toggle the Friends Panel, select the "Crew" tab, and click on "Search for Privateer Crew.")

- It's in your best interest to hunt for the enemy ship with the biggest Bounty. Sinking a ship with high Bounty will reap you and your Crew larger rewards! Keep a watchful eye on your own Bounty, as well. The longer you're out at sea sinking ships, the more your Bounty goes up. When you port, not only does your Bounty go down, you lose the score you and your Crew has accumulated.

Privateering Etiquette

- Hit the deck - and don't be afraid to get your elbows dirty, sailor! The larger the Crew, the more Privateers you have for making repairs at sea. The faster you can repair your ship, the sooner you can get back into the fight.

- I've seen many a Privateer that likes to drop anchor in the enemy's port ... Aye, this be a fool's gold hunt for it will yield you little result. When your ship spawns, it has an extended protective field which means you can shoot other ships but they can't shoot you!

Until next time, good luck and good travels

I am debating as to wheather to add pictures bc in doing so it will mess up the text.

Please post below if you have any questions, more information i could add, or any issues regarding some of the information i posted.

Last Updated: August 4th, 2008

niltag 07-24-2008 06:53 PM

Awsome guide Chris.....

You are definatly....

BAD TO THE BONEZ

:laughks2:

Chris 07-24-2008 06:58 PM

lol thx :) :buds: i really CANT wait until we do guild SvS :0 that will be sooo much fun :p!

remember to report any info that isnt right or give more info!

Reenabean 07-24-2008 07:03 PM

:skull:Thanks for the fast update Chris! I am LOVIN these battles!!
Go Spanish!!

Chris 07-24-2008 07:13 PM

lol thx me too :) i love PvP its so fun and strategic

methadose 07-24-2008 07:33 PM

I have to disagree with you on the war galleons being at a disadvantage, I was on abassa this morning and no one could sink me, I was sinking war frigates, war sloops, and every other ship out there, the armor more than makes up for the speed, imo.

methadose 07-24-2008 07:35 PM

sorry, the coin also depends on the bounty of the opposing ship you sink, not the type, I was at a bounty over 1000 earlier, I was sinking ships and receiving 200 sometimes which is what hte bounty was worth on ~ screen.

also to add - by hitting ~ u can see a list of ships out on each side and their bounty and score.

Chris 07-24-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methadose (Post 56426)
I have to disagree with you on the war galleons being at a disadvantage, I was on abassa this morning and no one could sink me, I was sinking war frigates, war sloops, and every other ship out there, the armor more than makes up for the speed, imo.

true but i was just rating them based on the 3 classes :) good point but out of the three using personal experience galleons preformed the worse out of the 3

ok ill change that i didnt notice that

Dr. Zeppers 07-24-2008 08:04 PM

Thanks Chris, nice guide..

Chris 07-24-2008 08:07 PM

darn thats what spell check told me :P ill fix that!

Maximvs 07-24-2008 08:20 PM

Also - kodos should be given to Irorhawk for information on I/O (what I call Inner / Outer Hull Damage) as he has an entire posting with Pics in the News Section. My information is experience, but he actually took the time to do before/ after / after-again (LOL) screenshots for everyone here...

Thanks Ironhawk :D

Here is the thread showing Full Pics of Before / After Damage

Chris 07-24-2008 08:29 PM

oh ok i didnt know what his guide was about bc i dont use a test account ah but now that ive seen it i understand ok

Ironhawk 07-24-2008 09:44 PM

Chris, here are some points not covered or need to be corrected :

We CAN dock at any island including enemy's base island.

There is also a third quest "The Caribbean Struggle" available from any shipwright on main islands.

Also in Privateering mode we don't get rep or plunder from NPC ships.

Pressing ~ button will display the Privateer Scoreboard

Chris 07-24-2008 09:47 PM

we can? i couldnt when i tried to dock at the french island i ended up sinking i just got the you cannot sail to close to this island

methadose 07-24-2008 10:09 PM

to clear up the docking issue, you cannot dock while under attack at any island, you must not be under attack for about thirty seconds, then you can dock