Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO WeaponSmith (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Reputation Chart and Guide (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6926)

Ironhawk 08-01-2008 06:06 PM

About Reputation

Reputation (or simply called Rep) is the point we need to raise our Notoriety level.
For more info about Notoriety please read the Potco Wiki.

There are three sources from where we can get Reputation point:
- Quest
Main Story Quest and some additional Quest reward us with Reputation point.
The reward for each part completed vary from 25 to 2000 Reputation point.
- Treasure
Sometimes we can get treasure from enemy defeated in combat.
Besides gold each treasure plundered also reward us with 25 Notoriety point.
- Combat
Every time we succesfully defeat an enemy in land or sea combat we receive Reputation point for our Notoriety and also for our weapon experience. For more info about weapon experience please visit Potco Wiki.

Reputation Chart

In this chart we can see the Reputation point we get each time a weapon skill is used in the combat. Multiply this number with how many time we use that skill, repeat for all skill used in that combat, then we get the Total Reputation from that enemy which is always displayed after we win a combat.
Example:
In fighting an Undead Grenadier (with a Red level) we use these skills:
Cutlass:
- Hack+Slash+Cleave+Flourish (4x)
- Sweep (2x)
- Brawl (1x)
Pistol:
- Venom shot (3x) all with Take Aim
- Bane shot (3x) all with Take Aim
Voodoo Doll:
- Curse (1x)
- Scorch (1x)
From the chart we can calculate the Reputation point (assuming every skill didn't miss).
Cutlass:
- (1+2+2+4) x 4 = 36
- 2 x 2 = 4
- 5 x 1 = 5
Total Reputation for Cutlass = 45
Pistol:
- 4.4 x 3 = 13.2 = 13 (always rounded down)
- 4.4 x 3 = 13.2 = 13
Total Reputation for Pistol = 26
Voodoo Doll:
- 15 x 1 = 15
- 7.5 x 1 = 7.5 = 7
Total Reputation for Voodoo Doll = 22
Total Reputation from that Undead Grenadier = 45+26+22 = 93
Total Reputation for each weapon goes to our weapon while the Total Reputation from that enemy goes to our Notoriety.

Also included in this chart is the Damage caused by using each skill. The numbers represented here is based on a pirate with Notoriety Level 40 and Weapon Level 25 (but with only one skill point applied) when facing a level 40 enemy, except for Silver Shot (living) and Steel Shot (undead). More about damage will be discussed in the Guide that accompany this chart.

Guide to Maximize
The Basic

It is obvious that an enemy is defeated when the amount of damage inflicted is equal to or larger than the enemy's health. The amount of damage depends on weapon skill used in that combat while the total skills used determine the Total Reputation. In order to maximize Total Reputation then we need to use skills which give BIG Reputation point but have SMALL damage point so that we can use those skills over and over again before the enemy's health run out.
From the Reputation Chart above we can sort out skills that meet this criteria:
Cutlass: Brawl and Taunt
Pistol: Silver shot (for living enemies) and Steel shot (for undead enemies)
Dagger: Throw Dirt
Voodoo Doll: Curse and Grave Shackle
Grenade: Fire Bomb and Smoke Bomb
Voodoo Staff: Banish (for living enemies) and Pestilence

We can only get a maximum of 100 Reputation point for each weapon, so we must know the limit in using certain skill for each weapon.
Example:
Combination of Curse and Grave Shackle give us 35 Reputation point. We only need to use this combination 3 times to get 100 Total Reputation and further use of voodoo doll is useless as it no longer gives us Reputation.
Recomended skill combination for each weapon to get 100 Reputation Point:
Cutlass:
- Brawl 4x
- Taunt 10x

Pistol:
- Silver Shot: 20x (living)
or
- Steel Shot: 20x (undead)

Voodoo Doll:
- Curse 4x
- Grave Shackle 2x

Dagger:
- Cut+Swipe 10x
- Throw Dirt 12x

Grenade:
- Smoke Bomb 25x

Voodoo Staff:
- Banish 6x (living)
or
- Pestilence (undead)
as much as we can
because most enemy will die before we get 100 rep
It is impossible to get 600 rep from a single enemy (without additional bonus)
because the total damage from all skills will exceed the enemy's health point.
The most damaging skills are Smoke Bomb and Pestilence so we should limit
using these and give priority to other skills.
Some skills are also slow to recharge before we can use them again and if we
think it's too long we can replace them with other skill with small damage point.
My record in getting Reputation point is 548 from a level 38 mollusk on Tormenta.

Plan our attack so we can use multiple weapons and get as much Reputation as possible from each.
Furthermore many skills need cooldown time before we can use them again, so the best strategy is to switch weapons often while waiting for previous skills used to recharge. We also need to know which skill has the fastest cooldown time and which one is the slowest because it's better to use the slowest one first. Also remember that some weapon like pistol or grenade doesn't need cooldown time at all, so switch our weapon wisely to make the combat efficient.
Example:
Grave Shackle is one of the slowest skill to recharge so I usually use this skill first followed by Curse. While waiting for these skills to recharge I swtich to Dagger and use Throw Dirt then quickly switch to Cutlass and use Brawl and Taunt. Switch to Dagger again for Throw Dirt then I pick Pistol and shoot 6 round of Silver or Steel shot (depending on the enemy type). Switch to Dagger for Throw Dirt and Cut+Swipe occasionally. By this time Brawl usually not fully recharged yet so I only use Taunt. Curse is ready to be used but as i only need to use it 3 times i don't pick Voodoo Doll yet but Voodoo Staff and use Banish twice or Pestilence if it's an undead enemy. I also limit the use of Fire Bomb or Smoke Bomb because the damage points are relatively high. I repeat this cycle several time until i'm sure each weapon already get the maximum Reputation point possible.

Enemy's Level and Color

From the Reputation Chart we can see that high level enemies (their level numbers are yellow or red) give bigger Reputation point than medium level (green) or low level (grey). This color classification depend on our Notoriety level, our weapon level and the enemy level. To determine which color an enemy's level belong to we can use this formula:

Maximum Yellow Level = (Our Notoriety Level + Our Weapon Level) / 2
The Maximum yellow level counted from the above formula (rounded down) will determine the boundary of yellow level and red level. All levels above yellow are always red. There are always 3(three) levels of yellow and below that are 3(three) levels of green. All levels below green always have grey color.
The number counted using this formula is NOT always true in game sometimes the boundary is one or two level above/below this. But anyway this formula is useful to predict at what Notoriety/weapon level we should move to the ideal spot in leveling our weapon.
Example:
By using this formula I know that at Notoriety level 25 and Grenade level 17 the group of six Veterans and one Officer (all are level 18 soldiers) on Kinghead's field will be green and I should move to Padres Beach or Catacomb to get better Reputation.
Maximum yellow level = (25+17)/2 = 21
Maximum green level = 21-3 = 18
This formula is also very useful in sea battle because NPC ship's level are not colored so we don't know for sure which one will give us the best Reputation point. For more info about Sailing Reputation and how to calculate the color classification for sailing and cannon skill please visit this thread:
http://www.piratesonlineforums.com/f...ead.php?t=7141

Enemy's Health

In planning our attack sometimes we need to know the Health point of an enemy so that we can estimate amount of skills and type of weapons that should be used in order to get as much Reputation point as possible. The following chart shows Health point for each enemy's level.

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r.../RepHealth.jpg

For enemies level 5 and above we can use this formula to calculate their health:
Enemy's Health = (Enemy's Level x 100) - 250

Counting Damage Point

To get the most Reputation point from an enemy we need to keep the damage point per skill as low as possible. In order to do that first we must understand how to calculate damage point and what affects them.
To know the damage capability of each skill we can press "K" and the Skill panel will be displayed. Select the weapon and hover mouse cursor to the prefered skill and in the small info box we can read the damage range of that skill. When our weapon's level get higher the damage point for each skill also increase.

These numbers are true only when facing an enemy which level is EQUAL TO our Notoriety level.

Damage points are higher for lower level enemies and are lower for higher level enemies. For every Notoriety level difference the damage point increase/decrease roughly around 3%.
Example:
My Notoriety level is 25 and my doll level is 13 and the enemy's level is 23.
The Skill panel shows that Poke skill deals 73 to 146 damage.
But usually this range only applies to a level 25 enemy.
For a level 23 enemy the damage point should increase to:
Minimum damage point: 106% x 73 = 77
Maximum damage point: 106% x 146 = 154
Sometimes the damage points are slightly below the minimum or above the maximum, but in general the damage point should fall between these range.
In the other hand enemies also have the same damage capability and that's why a high level enemies are very dangerous to us especially when they are 8 level or higher above our Notoriety level. Also remember that the higher the enemy's level the bigger the chance for our attack to miss. When an enemy is 8 level above our Notoriety level usually 90% of our attack will miss.
Example:
My Notoriety level is 25 (Health point 1546) and the enemy is a level 38 Mollusk.
Assuming his doll is level 25 and has five skill point in all skills then
if he use Swarm and Life Drain to attack me the damage point are:
Swarm damage point: 300 - 600
Life Drain damage point: 600 - 1200
Total average damage point = 1350
Level difference: 38 - 25 = 13
Additional damage: 13 x 3% = 39%
Total damage received: 139% x 1350 = 1876
This is enough to send me to jail before i could drain his voodoo with my hex eater shot which keep missing.
In other words, an enemy which level is higher than our Notoriety level will give more Reputation point because our damage point is weaker to them, but if the level is too high they can easily defeat us.

We can also increase the damage point by putting skill points to a skill.
Each skill point will increase the damage point by 25% of the standard damage point.
1 skill point applied - standard damage
2 skill points applied - 25% increase
3 skill points applied - 50% increase
4 skill points applied - 75% increase
5 skill points applied - 100% increase
Damage point of some skills like Taunt or Throw Dirt won't be increased when we put more than one skill point, but only the duration of the effect will get longer.

So to minimize damage and get better Reputation point we should avoid adding skill points to the skills we often exploit in leveling weapon. My suggestion is to save as much skill point as possible and spend them only to skills that are very useful in real combat (when Reputation point not important). These skills in my opinion are Bladestorm, Viper's Nest, Life Drain, and Flamming Skull. But in leveling weapon we can also use these powerful skills as the finishing touch when the enemy has only a few health point left because they give big Reputation point.

Grenade Damage Point
Damage point for each grenade skill depend on how we throw the grenade.
If we just throw it the damage point shown in the Skill panel should be added with the damage point shown in Throw skill. If we throw the grenade using Long Volley then the damage point should be added with those shown in Long Volley skill.
Example:
My Notoriety level is 25 and my grenade level is 17 while the enemy is a level 25 Undead Gypsy.
In the Skill panel it shows that the Stink Pot bomb has 56 to 112 damage point.
Throw skill has 23 to 45 damage point and Long Volley has 45 to 90 damage point.
If I just throw a Stink Pot bomb:
Minimum damage point: 56 + 23 = 79
Maximum damage point: 112 + 45 = 157
The damage point range from 79 to 157.
If I use Long Volley to throw a Stink Pot:
Minimum damage point: 56 + 45 = 101
Maximum damage point: 112 + 90 = 202
The damage point range from 101 to 202.
Pressing Ctrl key longer to recharge the Long Volley skill won't increase the damage point but only the throwing distance. But Long Volley damage point is still higher than Throw damage point, so to minimize the damage point and get more Reputation point we should avoid Long Volley when using grenade. Use Long Volley only when the enemy is too far for Throw to reach.

Pistol Damage Point
Like grenade, pistol's damage point depend on how we use them.
The damage point in the Skill panel should be added with the damage point shown in Shoot or Take Aim.
But after testing in game i found out that the total damage point is:

Skill damage point + (Shoot or Take Aim damage point / 2)

Example:
My Notoriety level is 25 and pistol level is 13 while the enemy is a level 25.
I use lead shot without Take Aim:
Lead shot damage point: 23 - 45
Shoot damage point: 17 - 33
Minimum damage point: 23 + (17/2) = 31.5 = 31 (rounded down)
Maximum damage point: 45 + (33/2) = 61.5 = 61
The damage point in game should fall between 31 and 61.
Using Take Aim will increase the damage point, the longer we press the Ctrl key (to charge the Take Aim bar) the higher the damage point. The lowest point in the bar equals 100% and the highest point is 300%
Example:
My Notoriety level is 25 and pistol level is 13 while the enemy is a level 25.
Lead shot damage point: 23 - 45
Take Aim damage point: 17 - 33
Using the calculation above the base damage point range from 31 to 61.
If I use Take Aim charged at half full that means the damage point increased to 200%
Total damage point then should fall between 62 and 123.
If I use lead shot with Take Aim fully charged then the damage point increased to 300%.
Total damage point then should fall between 93 and 183.
From the Reputation Chart we can see that using Take Aim gives better Reputation point, but it also cause more damage. So the best way is to use Take Aim but release the Ctrl key as soon as the Take Aim bar appears to minimize the damage.

Staying Alive

Using only skills with minimal damage point in combat will surely put us in dangerous situation because the enemy inflict damage faster than us. So to maintain our health while still getting good Reputation point in a combat we can try these methods:

Drink Tonic
Tonic is useful but expensive, we can only carry limited amount and they need to recharge before we can use them again. So it's not a good solution to help us in getting Reputation point. It's best to use Tonic only in a very critical situation.

Get help from a friend
We can ask a friend to heal us while we work our weapon. It's free and we have someone to talk to but friends also need to work on other weapon or finish quests, so to ask them to keep healing us for 3 hours a day is a bit selfish in my opinion. Another solution is to play two pirates simultaneously and have one pirate heal our other pirate who is working on weapon. But if we only have one computer with minimal system requirement then the lag can get very annoying.

Recharge health from some NPC
These NPCs can fully recharge our health for 5 gold and there are some enemies wandering nearby:
- All workers in Becket's Quarry (Padres Del Fuego)
- All workers in Royal Cavern (Port Royal)
- Bingham and Gordon Greer (Fort Charles, Port Royal)
- Edward Shackleby (Governor's Mansion, Port Royal)
The strategy is to stand near one of them and lure an enemy with ranged weapon. Then we use the small damage big rep method until our health bar turns red. Quickly press Shift and the NPC will heal us for 5 gold. Continue fight the enemy, repeat healing if necessary until we win the combat.
This is relatively cheaper than Tonic but we can't really concentrate in choosing skills because we also have to watch our health bar and can get confused at first. But with practice we can get used to it and earn good Reputation point. Also the plunder from combat usually cover the healing cost.
Edward Shackleby is ideal when we are still a noob. Bingham and Gordon when we above 10. Royal Cavern and Becket's Quarry when we are over 20. The Assassins and Mercenaries in Becket's Quarry are good when we are in the 30s. My record in Fort Charles is 220 rep from a Veteran. My record in Becket's Quarry is 369 rep from an Assassin. I'm lazy and I believe you can get more than me. It's a pity that all enemies around these NPCs are only Navy/EITC soldiers so we can't use Pistol here.

Bonus Point

Pistol Extra Point
By testing different type of Pistol I found that:
- Flintlock Pistol gives 50% more Reputation point than Tri Barrel or Heavy Tri Barrel Pistol.
- Double Barrel Pistol gives 25% more Reputation point than Tri Barrel or Heavy Tri Barrel Pistol.
The Reputation Chart above shows Reputation Point when using Tri Barrel or Heavy Tri Barrel.
Flintlock Pistol is good in getting Reputation Point but it's also very slow. My suggestion is buy a Double Barrel Pistol and use it until we mastered Pistol then finish the Heavy Tri Barrel quest.

Crew Bonus
Team up with our friends to form a Crew and we can get up to 50% bonus Reputation point.
2 Crew members - 20% bonus
3 Crew members - 25% bonus
4 Crew members - 30% bonus
5 Crew members - 35% bonus
6 Crew members - 40% bonus
7 Crew members - 45% bonus
8 Crew members - 50% bonus
Remember not to stand too far from other crewmates or we won't receive the bonus Reputation point. If we can see them well inside our radar (full zoom) that means we still get the bonus.

Special Event
Sometimes there are Double Reputation Bonus on special event like Father's Day.
Don't miss them as they can boost our Notoriety and weapon level very fast.

Ok, I'm done. Maybe you're already dizzy with these numbers and theories, but I hope some of you would test the formula and theories from here in game and give feedback to help improve this chart and guide. Thank you!

Ironhawk 08-01-2008 06:07 PM

Reserved for future addition. :psmiley35:

Swash 08-01-2008 06:13 PM

wow this is a sticky worthy post

sammyh 08-02-2008 12:04 AM

oh. my. gosh. now THIS should be stickied. please sticky this. i might want it in the future.

Gabyta 08-02-2008 12:15 AM

this is just a great work!!!

Angel Daggerfury 08-02-2008 05:51 PM

OMG thank you soo much, this is awesome.

davy redflint 08-02-2008 06:49 PM

nice one matey, been doing the muti weapon thing for awhile, even better if u dont use ur skill points keep ur weapon low avg 120 to 250 at lvl 36 still

Ironhawk 08-03-2008 01:13 PM

Guide finished. Hope they are useful to everyone.

Sarah 08-03-2008 01:28 PM

Wow Iron! Excellent work. Someone slap a sticky on this!

Mr.LoveLocket 08-03-2008 02:04 PM

ty so much u helped me lv my grenades big
! this a great thread! but one question how did u get 500 rep did u just use hack?

Ironhawk 08-03-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.LoveLocket (Post 58911)
ty so much u helped me lv my grenades big
! this a great thread! but one question how did u get 500 rep did u just use hack?

lol noo..
Please read the guide again carefully and you
will know how to get 500 rep from an enemy
I think i have to edit the guide again maybe
it's still confusing to some

Captain Grizzly 08-03-2008 04:49 PM

Great guide Mark! Thank you for taking the time to put this together, you put a lot of effort into this one.

Bartholomew Foulsteel 08-03-2008 08:35 PM

Amazing work! This is a real eye-opener!

Mr.LoveLocket 08-04-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhawk (Post 58919)
lol noo..
Please read the guide again carefully and you
will know how to get 500 rep from an enemy
I think i have to edit the guide again maybe
it's still confusing to some

KK ty i got 510 from a urchinfist :) ty so much!

icemage 08-16-2008 07:02 PM

Wowowow very helpful this will sure come in handy for all of the pirates trying to lvl their weapon. Thanks