Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Polls & Surveys (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Now That We Have Sailed At World's End... (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40393)

Platinum Pirate 08-23-2013 01:23 PM

Now That We Have Sailed At World's End...

let's take a simple survey for all time's sake. Select one of the five choices and explain why. All views will be respected as always. :SkullBullet1:

Wolfpirate2546 08-24-2013 02:09 PM

I loved it!

POTCO was unique in the way that it combined pirates and magic( voodoo, undead...) elements to create a great movie franchise, as well as a fantastic game. The game was great because it was safe(thanks Disney!), fun, as well as challenging. I will be searching for a new pirate style online game but I am grateful to Disney for the time that we did have on POTCO.

andyspins 08-24-2013 07:28 PM

I loved this game. Best game I've ever played.

Rannulf 08-24-2013 09:42 PM

I started this game with my son and daughter. I soon became hooked, and stayed with the game long after my kids both quit and moved to other games. I chose I love it!

What kept me with this game was it had the right mix of cool people playing, pirates oy yore , and of course Jack Sparrow!.

Platinum Pirate 08-29-2013 07:26 PM

Thank you for sharing your reasons.

I never thought Disney would be able to capture the charm of those films in their online game. I don't even think they know if they had in fact done that. I just saw it happened each time I logged in and sailed away in that virtual environment.

And now with the time we have remaining, I'm just pirating my heart out like its no tomorrow. I'm also fortunate to do this along with my brother. We're enjoying it very much seeking to accomplish certain goals with our pirates. We don't want to ever look back and wondered 'what would it been like if we had tried this or that'? Now is the time to get them done and chronicle the high seas adventure of our pirates. Come September 20th [unless its the 19th], life will be forever different.
Spoiler for Goodbye Yesterday:

Nate Swordwalker 08-30-2013 04:22 AM

I truly, truly, truly loved this game. Not for the gameplay, or for the new weapons, or quests, or any of that jazz. The one thing that kept me glued (even if partially glued) to this game were the people who played it with me. I have learned so much from this game. I will deeply miss it.

I'm also glad to see that POF has no plans currently to shut down the forums. Provides a place of refuge for pirates everywhere.

Cannonfury 08-30-2013 05:11 AM

loved but ONLY picked like because Disney did not put much effort in trying to make it better.

toanuju22 08-30-2013 08:47 AM

An Experince

I played POTCO for years, and quit back in 2009 in favor of POTBS, a more demanding sailing game. However POTCO was an experience in my life that I wont forget, I made a load of friends, most of which I still communicate with over facebook, and when the game looked dire due to lack of updates, my fantastic guild kept me playing. POTCO might have not been on the standards of other MMOs in terms of cutting edge gameplay like EvE, Age of Conan, or the list gones on- but point stands that it has attracted a fine crowd of people to play pixels with.

It does put in perspective making 3 lvl30+ characters and having them disappear after all that effort, but the social experience was worth my time.

need to find fake signature......

Midhav 09-08-2013 04:54 AM

Amazing game, loved it. The name itself made it have so much potential, and it could have been waaayy better too, but Disney decided to shut down the dev team and fund them less ahead of their planned massive updates. One of the few MMOs Ive played, and the only one that hooked me on for this much. I do hope the game gets resurrected in a more thoroughly revised and mature form with a huge resolve behind it, after a couple of years. The franchise needs a medium for its fandom especially with the forthcoming movies, not including the help of LEGO or Infinity. POF and other fansites was where I'd spent most if my Internet time, prior to social networking. Was a really fun and learning experience. :)

Platinum Pirate 09-09-2013 02:16 PM

Much appreciated for the additional opinions expressed by you all. And a hearty thanks unto each of you for casting your votes.

Anyone who has played it long enough to experience every [or just about every] facet of the game agree that this game had [and still has] the potential to become better. The odds of it returning are 0%. Doesn't help when Disney sent that official notification of its closure to every existing email, most of those 15 servers have remained rather Quiet at all hours of the day since. The most I've seen that have gone Ideal were 9 servers. You would think anyone getting an email telling you that you have free Unlimited Access for 30 days would be motivated to log in. I remember when there were over a hundred servers and each of them became Ideal during those UA special event weekends. So what happened here?

Well, apart from the game not being on par with WoW and the like, that shouldn't stop a freeloader from milking it for all its worth. I don't think they stopped being one. If they have, then that's good news all around. No business can continue for any reason if the demand is not there to pay for the service it renders or the product they produced. POTCO didn't have a strong economic customer base in that regard. But what a difference it would have made in their eyes as well as ours if most of those people who received that email, logged in and played it through resulting in having all 15 servers become Full to Ideal. POTCO would have to add servers, perhaps 10 at a time, to accommodate the demand. And if those were to become Ideal, that would be telling in their eyes more so than any petition or mailings ever could.

They haven't. Maybe some of those emails got bounced. Maybe some of them ended up in the Spam folder. Or, maybe they haven't been read because the account holder lost track of all of their email accounts. They are easy to create after all. Then again, no matter how you slice it, the results are clear to them as it should be to us: Not enough paying customers to keep that ship afloat.

I'd like to believe it might make a come back but I'm not holding my breath. Takes a very special person to captain that ship and none exist over there at this time. Just some high minded little captain and lord we know all too well:

Aye, we understand how it ended for you too. ;)

Littlebell 09-19-2013 12:02 PM

in my case, it was interesting until i ran out of "content"; managed to complete all the available quests before reaching max level, which left me with "grinding" to try to max level and skills. i'm not very big on "grinding" for its own sake, so that got me looking elsewhere, waiting/hoping for new content.

sazzy sazz 09-21-2013 09:01 PM

Meh!

Already missing this game so much, will never be forgotton, one of the most awesome games ever even with the glitches and what not it was still playable most the time. Hope they make another like it somewhat in the future! :sadmh9: :smiley_toxic: RIP POTCOnline :SkullBullet1: one for the *waters* :beer:

CarribeanThunder 09-22-2013 04:36 PM

I still find myself clicking on the launcher icon every now and then before I remember that the game is closed. I suppose it shows that I can't truly let go of the game, as it left a permanent impression in my gaming heart.

Chimera Doll 09-23-2013 05:56 PM

I loved this game so much despite all of the issues. Really hoping it will come back one day or at least something very similar.

It'll always be one of my favourite games and one that I'll never, ever forget.

Platinum Pirate 09-24-2013 02:35 PM

If the true treasure of this game captured yer heart, you won't ever forget it. Even if and when you go on to play another game, there will be those moments when you will remember of the times ye had in that special Caribbean. I know. It happened to me between 2009 and 2011. Every now and then during those two years I would log in and pirate a bit. Even got UA for 30 days at those rare times to try out the latest like those new weapons that debut. What a special moment it was to get the Seven Seas Cutlass as my first famed ever. And when I didn't pirate, always checking the latest Grog Blog kept me heart close to the Caribbean.

At least it was there, always there, for me to pirate as I pleased. Now it is no more. There won't be another quite like it. :SkullBullet1: