Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ideas, Suggestions, and Rumors about POTCO (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   GM Interview: Trading IS in the Works! (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35621)

Joshua Coalskull 06-01-2012 08:46 PM

GM Interview: Trading IS in the Works!

Yes, you heard right! Trading IS in the works. Confirmed by GM Ben Bowman at Feats of Strength today.

In an unscreened statement Ben Bowman stated that they are working on it.

Then we screened the following statements:

Spoiler for Images and Text:

http://www.piratesonlineforums.com/f...pictureid=5268

http://www.piratesonlineforums.com/f...pictureid=5269

Below is a special GM trading transfer, to give me the third place Ship Materials. Likely that these mechanics will come in to play with this hopefully upcoming update:

http://www.piratesonlineforums.com/f...pictureid=5267

Special Thanks To: A certain potco information site out there. :psmiley35:

J.T. 06-01-2012 08:49 PM

The trade transfer message has been seen before, this doesn't exactly mean that trading WILL come ( I've seen these screens on a different site. Stuff like this has happened / been brought up before ). However, we can only wait and see what comes from here.

Joshua Coalskull 06-01-2012 08:51 PM

I added the screens of the GM saying it, but they have to be approved by a Mod First.

FightingExecutioner 06-01-2012 11:55 PM

At least we know from Ben that a Trading System is coming. If it does happen to be in a coming release, I will always be an honest Trader.

Davy_Mcwrecker 06-02-2012 01:20 AM

Eh, People will abuse it, just watch.

Platinum Pirate 06-02-2012 02:01 AM

I caught the same claim about trading too from Ben. Whoopee. Where's the Kraken that they echoed a lot about too way back when?

Captain Celtics 06-02-2012 02:10 PM

If trading ever came I'm sure ebay would be used somehow by players for profit.

Captain Jason 06-03-2012 10:23 PM

I don't really see how everyone is so worried about people abusing trade... It seems fairly simple to make a system where people can trade weapons, clothes, materials, etc. where each player can see what the other is offering. There are plenty of ways for them to come up with a trading system where nobody will cheat another out of something.

And about what Ben said about tricking others into trading, that would also be fairly easy to fix. There could just be a warning message if the game thinks that something is an unfair trade, or something like that at least.

Platinum Pirate 06-04-2012 03:24 PM

I don't know about the cheat-abuse part of trading, I just see ppl preferring to take more shortcuts to get certain things they don't need to work for anymore being the greatest form of abuse. It will encourage more bad behavior. It will also make any honest pirate question the authenticity of how that weapon was actually acquired by that pirate. You know like those phony Badges ppl wear since Infamy became a feature. You don't know with certainty that they actually battled and defeated the other guy in PvP or SvS. They simply allowed themselves to get beat to spruce up the reps and climb up the ranks. In SvS, they also get some bounty too. So really why allow this wonderful game become more merchant-like and less pirate-like? Why cheat yourselves from playing like a true pirate and really earning that Notorious reputation the tried and true way?

Granted, on the surface of things, it's a nice thing to ideally offer players to trade with each other, but realistically, it goes against what it means to be a pirate in the first place! Go loot and plunder like a pirate. And, demand POTCO to increase our Inventory space so we can stash more stuff we love to keep personally for all the right reasons.

And if you want to still have the option of trading, then maybe it should be stuff you can transfer to your other 1-3 pirates in that same account and no other. I'm sure players would find that more convenient and acceptable since it's all in the family.

Davy_Mcwrecker 06-04-2012 03:30 PM

About the abuse. Scamming, hacking, cheating, ect. They WILL find a way to steal your stuff.

Platinum Pirate 06-04-2012 03:44 PM

Now that would be scary. Only way for them to know what you got is for POTCO to design some panel showing your wares to trade. Oh yeah, Davy, without doubt, any pirate who knows how to cheat and hack will be tempted to steal someone's best weapon. Couple that with the knowledge they already have because they saw them use the weapon, too. Oh yeah, they would seize on the opportunity to steal and plunder your Inventory much like those Creatures boarding ships these days.

Best for POTCO to keep our goods private.

Marry The Night 06-04-2012 10:32 PM

Here's my view on trading:

Frankly... I think the POTCO community is afraid of trading because we haven't had it since the beginning. Most of the community doesn't know what to expect. If you would all kindly think back to Virtual Magic Kingdom, which had trading during the entirety of its three-year run, there were some small problems with trading, which were fixed. If someone scammed you out of your items, you could contact VMK and have your items restored.

Should trading be added to POTCO, I'm sure it would be very similar to VMK's trading system. By that I mean:
  • Both parties have to agree to enter the trade.
  • Both parties can see what is being offered.
  • Both parties will have their own private chat channel to haggle.
  • Both parties must agree to complete the trade.

It'll probably look something like this:

http://www.disneyonlineworlds.com/im...radewindow.jpg

With that being said, I don't have a problem with trading being introduced. I was a member of VMK from 2006 until its closing, so I'm used to trading. For those of you who aren't familiar, I'd suggest reading the Trading Basics and Trading Scams and What You Should Do articles from the VMK section of DOW. If trading is indeed coming, those articles will really help.

The addition of trading could be a great thing, add an interesting twist to the game, and would immensely change the Caribbean's economy. Trading in VMK was an interesting and fun way to earn items that are hard to find, and it was a great way to meet new people; and I'm sure that if it is added to POTCO, it could do just the same. But only if you all allow it to.

Davy_Mcwrecker 06-05-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marry The Night (Post 370523)
....is afraid of trading.....

.... If someone scammed you out of your items, you could contact VMK and have your items restored.

I would embrace trading. It's just that there wouldnt be much to trade anyways.

Yes, but you have seen the Crew members. Even if they would give you back your items, it would take them several months. IF. You remember those old threads where items where deleted because of a bug and the devs wouldn't give them back, OR be helpful. They will just give some excuse like - Dont trade and you want be scammed.

Platinum Pirate 06-05-2012 03:20 PM

Frankly, if we had it in the beginning, I wouldn't have bothered to keep playing Pirates. That, my dear, is the truth of it. I don't know about the rest out there inside this forum or outside of it, I for one would have been disgusted at the concept. It's not the pirate thing to do. Fine for those other games, but not for Pirates of The Caribbean Online.

Moreover, for POTCO to even borrow that idea from another Disney game pretty much shows how bankrupt they are with ideas altogether. That should send chills up anyone's spine when a game company runs out of fresh ideas of their own. And when they are depending on feedback by their customers who [let's be honest here] are borrowing ideas from other games, the game is practically over.

Granted, from what I've seen, POTCO has done its best to stay unique and above the fray in online gaming [They have to really]. Most just want to play the game and depend on the game to provide more content for them to keep on playing. Wrong approach but expected from such fickle people. Far worse when the game company cows to them just to keep filling them coffers of theirs. As a result, the quality of the game everyone professes to love simply deteriorates.

So as much as this idea of trading sounds all well and dandy, truth be told, I am convinced that it will very well spell the end of POTCO itself. You don't think so and I do respect your point of view. No need to say further. I am very much aware of this need to 'trade' which is why I offered a compromise: Let players 'transfer' their Inventory items to their other 1-3 pirates in that same account.

That would be proper and perfectly acceptable. The lone account holder is taking what they have earned and passing on to their family members so to speak. Up to the sole discretion of the user if they want each of their pirates instead to earn gold, weapons, clothing, jewelry, potions, ship materials, and yes, even ships! What?!? Hold the phone parrot. Plat, did I just read what you said right, transfer ships?!? Why yes you have Matey. That's the idea to transfer ships to your other pirates. Get out! Okay, I will after I finish making my point. lol not literally and right away. I meant Wow. lol np.

Just think upon that feature and see how it will help immensely. As we all know, we do not expect POTCO to increase our Inventory space anytime soon. But say you have a free slot open to create a fourth pirate, like I do. You can transfer all those special items to that fourth pirate's inventory and let that be your backup. I have a light galleon that I can't bring myself to replace for sentimental reasons. But with this feature, I can transfer it to my fourth pirate as a family heirloom that I can retrieve in the future when I'm Basic again.

Another scenario is maxing out a regular ship and transferring it to your other pirates to help them out. Transfer can't happen until that receiving pirate has the sailing skill mastered. He would need 10 in that case, 15 if you transfer a war class. (Funny how that requirement does not apply when sailing on board someone else's. Maybe if it was, we wouldn't have issues where some unruly/ impolite pirates take over the helm.) That would be cool. This principle, however, applies only to ships. The other items are like any loot drop: you can take them and use them according to weapon experience and membership status.

I honestly like the idea of brewing potions that will help my younger pirates. I like the idea of sending a certain class of weapons meant for that pirate. And I love to readily deposit that gold when I max mine out. Just few of the things I know would be most helpful.

That will give me a very good reason why I should subscribe on a permanent basis. Otherwise, I'll just hold out and buy a game card instead to be used at my own leisure... and play as it were my last.

Kraken Guard 06-05-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davy_Mcwrecker (Post 370512)
About the abuse. Scamming, hacking, cheating, ect. They WILL find a way to steal your stuff.

Yup. I am suddenly reminded of tales back when Virtual Magic Kingdom was still open, with people losing their inferno...:7c810c6517: