Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Kraken ate my what? (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Be Kind to your Gunners (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33538)

Crimson Rose 01-25-2012 01:38 AM

Be Kind to your Gunners

My brig Crimson Rose is usually closed to the public.This is mostly because I'm not sure that I'm a "gunner-friendly" helmsperson.

When I crew aboard other ships - especially the big ones - the ship often moves so that the target ship is almost steady in my sights. What's the best way to do that?

At the helm, I usually circle around a target ship with the rudder hard over, trying to keep it centered on one of my broadsides. I would like to be able to crew on my own ship to see if this is effective for the gunners or no.

Crimson Rose

Leon Dreadpratt 01-27-2012 03:12 PM

In my opinion, the best way to sail with a big crew is just to stop with the enemy ship directly to your left or right mid way on your compass and let is come to you. As long as it is facing you it won't be able to fire and a good crew can make quick work of it. Since you are not moving it is super easy for gunners to keep aim on the enemy. It works great!

LiraEnos 01-27-2012 08:12 PM

Also, I'd recommend approaching ships tangentially so that your gunners can take potshots at it while you're getting setup. I've been on quite a few ships where the captain will point his nose directly at the target which makes it practically impossible to do anything until we're already in a position to take fire, and it makes crew members more like to try to hit other ships in their sight than the one you might be trying to go for.

Captain Jorden 01-28-2012 03:21 AM

I usually say the name of what ship we attck before we attck it. Then it makes it easier for gunners to attck which ship to attack. And you won't have cannon balls going to other ships. Hope this helps.

Dark_Pixie 01-29-2012 04:35 PM

Gunners get annoyed if they have to keep switching sides, so bear that in mind while captaining a public ship. I usually keep my crew on the right until that side is destroyed, then ask my crew to switch. Then after that side is destroyed, I dock for repairs or ask my crew to repair the ship (depends if they want to repair or not). I'd rather keep my crew happy than stay sailing for ages. What a bad pirate I am.

akamystic 01-31-2012 10:07 PM

I'm always kind to my crew (gunners or repair) unless a pirate decides to freeload. I understand AFK happens and other life events which are far more important than any game. I'm talking about the pirates running around the ship jumping, tossing grenades, firing guns etc. while you are in battle.

I always suggest the crew take turns between repairs and cannons. Some will disregard and do as they please. That is the risk you take opening to public. Sail with caution and expect the unexpected.