Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ideas, Suggestions, and Rumors about POTCO (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   This Doen't Have to be The End (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40408)

bartholomew bladeroberts 09-05-2013 02:29 AM

This Doen't Have to be The End

It's really quite amazing how quickly two years can pass; and even more amazing how rapidly the state of a once very successful game can change. It seems as though in recent months Disney has decided to seek a bit more revenue. Unfortunately a game that is hanging on by it's core users that doesn't exactly make for a boatload of cash. As a result the majority of Disney Online Games are being shut down. Realistically there is nothing that we can do to change the fact that the servers will be unplugged on September 19th. But instead of trying to keep Disney's servers running I thought that it might be beneficial to explore other options. As I was playing Minecraft recently, it dawned on me that if we could host our own servers a la Minecraft we would be set to keep playing indefinitely this would also allow for modding and a rich expansion of the game that Disney didn't want to sink their money into. Obviously this concept raises a few questions

Q: How would we be able to run our own servers?
A: (To my knowledge) a server is nothing more than a program designed to run on a specialized computer that communicates data with other computers. The keyword being program. Assuming that POTCO uses similar servers to Pixar's then they are running on linux and/or unix Operating Systems

Q: What about more common Operating Systems such as MAC and Windows?
A: Preferably the temporary devs that Disney has likely assigned to assist with the games closing would help convert the servers to work with windows and mac

Q: What about the Pirates that we've made aren't they on Disney's servers?
A: Yes they are all on Disney's servers if such a thing were to occur then preferably we would be able to download our pirates and place them into a folder that the servers would use

Q: MODDING?!?!?!?!?!? Isn't that against the Disney Online Terms and Conditions?
A: As it stands yes it is but as Disney throws it's hands off of POTCO preferably they would also let go of the terms and conditions that they no longer run the servers to.

As it stands this is just a rough idea but maybe if the entire community makes their opinion known, then this might just balloon into something.

andyspins 09-05-2013 03:58 PM

I've thought of this. Disney would probably not allow us to use the game on a server due to copyright issues. I would love it if they did though.

Capt C Ray 09-06-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartholomew bladeroberts (Post 380286)

Q: How would we be able to run our own servers?
A: (To my knowledge) a server is nothing more than a program designed to run on a specialized computer that communicates data with other computers. The keyword being program. Assuming that POTCO uses similar servers to Pixar's then they are running on linux and/or unix Operating Systems

A server is NOT a program. A server is a physical piece of equipment.

And when it comes to Mindcraft, yes, you can rent server space so you can have your own server to run Mindcraft on. For the most part, you do not have an entire server, but only a piece of one.

Dolphiny 09-26-2013 09:24 PM

Hi - I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but after reading this post I think you might be interested. Theres a new game being developed right now. The goal is to be as similar to POTCO as possible! Check out the forums.

pirates of the high seas

It looks very cool, and I'm so excited to have a game just like POTCO coming out again. Spread the word!

Bubbazeke707 09-28-2013 11:27 PM

I can think of a way or two Potco may come back. It IS possible it will come back when Disney gets their next truckload of cash. This is really only the clues for someone in denial it's gone forever right now. But looking at how popular Pirates of the Caribbean was when it first came out compared to other pirate movies, it just might. (Think Pirates got popular because of the mix of Pirates and Voodoo) But last I checked, the third Pirates movie was the most expensive movie on the planet, I think, so if they end up spending more than they receive, Pirates won't come back. If it's a big hit, Pirates Online will probably come back better. :piratetongueor4:

Platinum Pirate 09-29-2013 12:05 AM

Not to get anyone's hopes up, it IS possible that if and when the 5th film debuts, they might be inclined to have another go of it so long as that 5th film turns out to be extremely profitable. One can safely presume that the 6th and perhaps last of the Pirate films would roll out two years later. By then, there could be another Pirates' MMO type game that's substantially better. That's still no guarantee however. You must remember, they will weigh the pros and cons of doing another MMO type game. We can criticize them for how they had done things all we want, but don't dismiss the human side of having to deal with less-than-stellar customers. In other words, most were rotten. Just not worth the trouble of having to deal with them. Much better to offer something else and bank on that, like a LEGOs version. :laughks2: