Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marked Cards, Sunk Ships, and Fishing Tales (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Cannon Defense Guide (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16395)

bpg2012 07-13-2010 11:06 PM

Cannon Defense Guide

First to make your strategy you need to know the ammo and there functions, cost and lv unlock.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Ammo types

1. Round shot: Much like the round shot for normal cannons.
Does about 100 to 200 damage per hit.
Is completely free.
Unlocked at lv 1
Loads six shots at a time.
Available to everyone.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
2. Targeted Ammo: Automatically aims at ships and incoming barrels.
Does around 60 to 70 damage.
Costs 20 bank notes for 100 rounds.
Unlocked at lv 2
Available to everyone
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
3. Smoke Bomb: Slows down enemy ships.
Does no damage
Costs 50 bank notes for 50 rounds
Loads six rounds at a time.
Unlocked at lv 4
Available to everyone
4. Mine Ammo: Can be set in water as traps.
Does 900 to 960 damage.
Costs 100 bank notes for 50 rounds.
Unlocked at lv 5.
Available to everyone.
Hotshot ammo: Sets enemy ships on fire.

Costs 100 bank notes for 50 rounds
Unlocked at lv 7.
Loads three shots at a time.
Unlimited Access only.
Scatter Shot: Is much like grape shot in cannons scatters many cannon balls.
Does 100-150 per pellet hit.
Costs 125 bank notes for 50 rounds
Unlocked at lv 8.
Unlimited access only.
Powder Keg: Is a super powerful version of Mine Ammo.

Costs 500 bank notes for 9 rounds
Unlocked at lv 10
Loads 1 shot at a time
Unlimited access only.
Bullet Ammo: Shoots directly and goes through ship hulls.
400 to 500 damage.
Costs 200 bank notes for 50 rounds.
Unlocked at lv 11
Loads 3 shots at a time.
Unlimited Access only.
Cold Shot: Freezes patches of water to slow ships.
Does no damage.
Costs 200 bank notes for 50 rounds
Unlocked at lv 12
Unlimited Access Only
Explosive: Goes kablam!

Costs 500 for 9 rounds
Unlocked at lv 14.
Loads 1 round at a time.
Unlimited Access only.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
Bait shot: Summons a shark.
Instantly sinks a ship if you hit it.

Unlocked at lv 16.
Reloads six rounds at a time.
Unlimited Access only.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
Firestorm: Creates a firestorm hitting any ships near the main contact with the ship also causing after damage/afterburn.

Unlocked at lv 18.

Unlimited Access only.

That's all of the ammo types and there features etc
You gain additional Ammo slots at these lvs
lv 2
lv 6
lv 17.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
What the different colored sails mean:
Red sails mean light ships

Green sails mean normal ships.

Blue sails mean war ships

orange sails mean war ships with more health than normal.

An easy strategy:

At lv 2 don't buy targeted ammo unless you are having a lot of trouble aiming because targeted ammo does half of what round shot does and costs money when round shot is free. Save up for mine ammo.

At lv 4 Don't buy smoke bomb ammo unless you actually intend to use them if you don't just wait for mine ammo its a lot more helpful.

At lv 5 buy Mine ammo and shoot the mines in the water, they will float there and explode when hit by an enemy ships and take a large portion of their hull.
A trick I like to do is switch between mine and round shot because the ammo types load individually set out as many mines as possible and use round shot

This strategy will usually get you to at least round 12.

At lv 10 you should buy powder keg ammo but use it sparingly like when there are a lot of red and orange sails. (Powder kegs are like mine ammo but better.)

Feel free to post your own tips or tactics or if i forgot something tell me and I will correct it.

p.s on some of the ammo types I didn't have enough information to complete the details if you know them please tell me and i will add them.

Jackfiresteel 07-14-2010 01:25 AM

Wow pretty good guild there!

Dog Firestack 07-14-2010 01:22 PM

Alright, first of all bullet is unlocked at 11.

Now here is MY strategy to get really high, but you NEED good accuracy. This usually works for all types of combination teams.

Don't spend anything until you get powder keg ammo. Then when you hit 11 get bullet ammo, BUT USE IT SPARINGLY. Same with Kegs.

When you hit 18 get Firestorm, it is like a keg, only weaker but has an after burn effect plus the effect where you hit a ship with it, while a keg is shot into water, then shot at again with another type of ammo.

I suggest when you get very high ( about 3000 banknotes ) start to use bullet as your round ammo. You may use alot at a time, but hit shift to bring out the ammo bar in order to get the ammo right when you run out.

As to WHEN you use firestorm and the kegs, use it when you have a big amount of groups of ships. For firestorm try to hit the ship in the center, while kegs try to get all the ships into the blast range/radius. Be SURE you do NOT move the cannon after you shoot the keg, so you can hit it with round. As to accuracy gurantee with firestorm, shoot afew rounds at a ship, make contact and then shoot a firestorm and then switch back. Very helpful.

As to ammo info here it is.

starting from bullet: 3 rounds, allowed to hold 50 bullets. Quick and powerful.

Cold shot you have info.

Bombs I can't remember for sure, it's kinda like a weak fire storm with no afterburn. One per shooting.

Shark bait: That's an INSTANT SINK if you can hit them with it, hold 6.

Firestorm: Creates a firestorm hitting any ships near the main contact with the ship also causing after damage/afterburn.

bpg2012 07-14-2010 10:40 PM

Thank you for the corrections and the tips.

Edward Edgemenace 07-16-2010 03:32 AM

My regular cannon build affects my navy cannon defense damage, yes? Is that why I can only seem to do damage with round shot? All other ammo types seem useless, for me, in cannon defense.

bpg2012 07-16-2010 04:38 AM

Yes your regular cannon build affects cannon defense too. I tested it with the shoot skill on cannon and maxed it out and it shot faster on cannon defense too. I'm not sure if it works with all skills though.

Matthew Sternrage 07-19-2010 09:59 AM

Tip: When you shoot a Powder Keg ahead of a vessel, for example, a Heavy War Frigate, the ship will run over it. Move it from it's path to to critical damage. I learned that.

And when you reach Navy Cannon 20, the cannon transforms into a Repeater Cannon.

Dog Firestack 07-19-2010 11:39 AM

Note that only shoot, barrage, shrapnel and rapid reload effect cannon defense for your regular cannon build.

ruisen2000 09-08-2010 03:05 AM

Shark bait: That's an INSTANT SINK if you can hit them with it, hold 6.

[/QUOTE]

Hold 6? Whats does it do?

Dog Firestack 09-08-2010 12:06 PM

You hold 6 shark bait ammo.

Sven Ironwalker 09-10-2010 04:50 PM

Every time I start the game I go in at level 1 each time I go in... is that normal for it?

Chimera Doll 09-10-2010 06:57 PM

Very nice guide! :D +Rep.

Igor Greybeard 09-10-2010 08:27 PM

Igor says

Igor can only say " MOOOHHAAA HHHAAA HHAAAAA "
Igor think it best listen to Dog.
Igor not like to listen to Spartans. :Pirate4:
Igor say no Spartans in the top 20
Igor says Igor biased however because of past Spartan history :piratewhip:
Igor say have a nice day :dancetl6:

:pirate41::pirate41::pirate41::pirate41:

SEAKING23 10-19-2010 06:04 PM

roger sword shot level 45 MASTERS IN SWORDS

Nice strategy i will use it. Just one thing though: smoke shot is useless, i mean, why slow them down when you can sink them? also, use target shot on ships that are getting away, other wise don't use them. hope this helps :D

seven__11 11-12-2010 01:27 AM

Thanks for the tips. What rewards did you get at that high level?