Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ideas, Suggestions, and Rumors about POTCO (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   More Gold Side Quests? (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30893)

BDusel 11-08-2011 06:54 PM

More Gold Side Quests?

It occurred to me last night while I was grinding Darkhart for the first time ever that we really should have more gold giving quests. I realize you can get one that gives 250 gold for killing (I think) 2 Thrall Captains? But even still, one kill of Darkhart can net 500 gold sometimes.

What about adding some new quests along these lines? Sink 25 +20LV Navy Ships, earn 1000 gold. Kill 25 +30 EITC Soldiers, earn 750 gold. Etc, etc, etc.

Just something to think about!

Ice_Storm 11-08-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDusel (Post 353743)
It occurred to me last night while I was grinding Darkhart for the first time ever that we really should have more gold giving quests. I realize you can get one that gives 250 gold for killing (I think) 2 Thrall Captains? But even still, one kill of Darkhart can net 500 gold sometimes.

What about adding some new quests along these lines? Sink 25 +20LV Navy Ships, earn 1000 gold. Kill 25 +30 EITC Soldiers, earn 750 gold. Etc, etc, etc.

Just something to think about!

I can get 1000 gold easy by fighting off lv 1 skeletons and turning in the gold quest again and again in 4 minutes.

Those rewards are too low for what you have to go through, especially the sea quests. Man, ship travel is way too slow to find enemy after enemy again and again.

Rewards for those sea quests are too low. 5000 gold sounds like a better reward for 25 lv 20 navy ships considering how looong it takes to sail.... its dreadful.

BDusel 11-08-2011 07:29 PM

Aye, that's my thought as well - why not have quests people can do at their leisure that offer alot of gold aside from JUST grinding.

Ice_Storm 11-08-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDusel (Post 353749)
Aye, that's my thought as well - why not have quests people can do at their leisure that offer alot of gold aside from JUST grinding.

Yeah, I agree, and it also can't be that hard to implement, either.

Maybe their QA team is just as lacking as the developers :|.

Captain Del 11-08-2011 09:23 PM

I believe that having the ability to collect gold at such a quick rate through these kinds of quests, though curing some of our headaches, would only take away from the game in the long run.

Let's go with the scenario of making 5,000 every quest.

If you gave my guild and I a War Frigate and enough ammunition we would be able to take down twenty-five Navy war ships in roughly twenty minutes, give or take (though I'm confident if we had Will at the helm we could go far below that.) That means I would be making around 20,000 gold an hour when taking in to consideration cargo hulls, which quite frankly is an insane amount of gold. If I tried hard enough at this rate, I could have a baby pirate go from dirt poor to max gold in a week.

One of the best parts of this game, which is often viewed as the worst part, is the fact you need to work towards what you want to achieve in the game. If we gave everybody unlimited Jack's Brews and quests that gave 5,000 a pop, this game would tank faster than a Ferret going against the Victory Shark - because people would get done what they want to get done, and then be left standing around asking "Well, what's next?"

That's why I get extremely angry with pirates who rush to get the most out of an update, and then a week after it's released complain that they blew by it too quickly. You need to learn to take things not as a race, but instead you should get the most out of every update in a savoring, enjoyable pace.

If they had quests that gave around 1,000 upon completion, with the same standards as you suggested, I would find it much more reasonable.

Quote:

I can get 1000 gold easy by fighting off lv 1 skeletons and turning in the gold quest again and again in 4 minutes.
This is a problem as well. Even if it costs you a teleport back and forth between a guildie, reaping in an extra 250 gold every 5 Thralls can build up to be a pretty ridiculous amount of gold. They should definitely increase the standards of these quests.

And please keep in mind as you read this this is coming from the mouth of a Guildmaster who has 65k gold and spends all of his money on costumes and disguises for his pirate.

Ice_Storm 11-08-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Del
I believe that having the ability to collect gold at such a quick rate through these kinds of quests, though curing some of our headaches, would only take away from the game in the long run.

I think they should increase the gold requirements on some items and keep the 5000 gold rate.

Quote:

One of the best parts of this game, which is often viewed as the worst part, is the fact you need to work towards what you want to achieve in the game. If we gave everybody unlimited Jack's Brews and quests that gave 5,000 a pop, this game would tank faster than a Ferret going against the Victory Shark - because people would get done what they want to get done, and then be left standing around asking "Well, what's next?"

I guess your right about that. But, I won't get bored as long as PvP is around. Others might because they probably just play for the PvE elements of Pirates Online. I just hate how the grind is setup. I rather earn EXP via Party Total in dungeon-like quests. This way, you don't have to worry about registering in X amount of hits to get X amount of desired Rep for that weapon.

Quote:

That's why I get extremely angry with pirates who rush to get the most out of an update, and then a week after it's released complain that they blew by it too quickly. You need to learn to take things not as a race, but instead you should get the most out of every update in a savoring, enjoyable pace.
Same here. Then they ask the developers to add the WRONG THINGS after with the feedback they submit. I keep telling the developers to make these activities like a grind. Do they listen? No.

They are afraid players wouldn't want to pay anymore because of how long and repetitive a specific activity takes to master. That's the problem here.

This is way their other Disney game Toontown is much more successful and achievement-like. It takes months, if not, a full year or 2 to master specific Costumes or leisure time activities like Gardening and Go karts. Nothing is ever easy to master in that game.

Pirates? Well you can make it to lv 50 in 2 weeks (I've seen auto-botters level off of Darkhart all day. Sad they gotta cheat to play the game).

Toontown max health? 137. How long does it take to reach that?

If you play every day for 8+ hours, probably 1-2 years, depending if you're spending your time wisely.

Regular player? 3-6 years.

Why?

Because some activities/areas in TT are 40-60 minutes long. And you have to repeat them over and over...

Is why Pirates just doesn't maintain a proper longevity purpose with their content.

Too quick to master.

Quote:

And please keep in mind as you read this this is coming from the mouth of a Guildmaster who has 65k gold and spends all of his money on costumes and disguises for his pirate.
I never had more than 40k gold ever in my time playing Pirates. I don't know how you guys do it. Some reason, my gold gets spent on stuff like skill changes, ships, etc.

BDusel 11-08-2011 10:03 PM

All of this aside, all I meant was some more gold-earning quests :P

Something like these, that you can do at your own leisure:

Sink 100 Ship of 20LV+, earn 1000 gold. Alot, yes, but some love to just plunder and can do this once in a while AS they do other activities.

Variety!

Chalupa 11-09-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Del (Post 353756)

Let's go with the scenario of making 5,000 every quest.

If you gave my guild and I a War Frigate and enough ammunition we would be able to take down twenty-five Navy war ships in roughly twenty minutes, give or take (though I'm confident if we had Will at the helm we could go far below that.) That means I would be making around 20,000 gold an hour when taking in to consideration cargo hulls, which quite frankly is an insane amount of gold. If I tried hard enough at this rate, I could have a baby pirate go from dirt poor to max gold in a week.

If they had quests that gave around 1,000 upon completion, with the same standards as you suggested, I would find it much more reasonable.

This is a problem as well. Even if it costs you a teleport back and forth between a guildie, reaping in an extra 250 gold every 5 Thralls can build up to be a pretty ridiculous amount of gold. They should definitely increase the standards of these quests.

And if the quest was a one time deal?

Eliza Creststeel 02-10-2013 12:29 AM

What I don't understand is why more if not all of the NPCs don't have random quests they can just give out.

Not just Kill This, or Sink That. Something as simple as Go Here (to deliver something) or See This Person (delivery, pick up, etc.)

Rewards should be Loot Pouch, not just gold though to give the chance for a decent piece of loot.

Platinum Pirate 02-10-2013 04:14 PM

I find this discussion extremely amusing. In all my years, I did not have a problem maxing the gold amount for each of my pirates. Captain Del said it best:
Quote:

You need to learn to take things not as a race, but instead you should get the most out of every update in a savoring, enjoyable pace.

Players in a race for gold are only motivated to 'show off' whatever they got. It's the same attitude they have when they race to unlock a weapon, complete a major quest, or get a ship upgrade and all else for that matter. They miss out a lot and the greatest of these are the actual 'good' friends they encountered in this form of entertainment that otherwise would not have been attainable elsewhere in their own real life. Its those connections that make the game worthwhile and keep the game interesting. All the gold [and now mats] they generate while playing together just adds up beautifully.

Of course, the whole point of this thread is an option to generate more gold by having certain quests give a higher amount when completed. BDusel suggests a higher gold amount for sinking a certain number of enemy ship levels. Sounds reasonable when you think about it. Eliza Creststeel, on the other hand, suggests something other than just gold and is befuddled as to why there are so few quests with all these NPCs. She has a point there, but under the current Notoriety 50 cap, that's unlikely. POTCO, like any smart game developer, left enough room to keep players interested. Narrowing that will end it too quickly. Instead of seeing that as a bad thing (i.e., lack of quests), see it as preview of things to come when the cap is lifted. Rest assured, there will be a need for such innovative and practical quests to rep up from Notoriety 50 to 75.

Under the present circumstances, it's not that hard to generate gold. Depends how much time you spend with that one pirate on your account per day. I was able to early on, long before all this new content came to pass, max the 65,000 gold cap using whatever was available back then. And oddly enough, what worked for me back then, still holds true with this new 200,000 gold cap with all this new content POTCO added since. It's really there if you know where to look and see its value. Most prefer, to just log in to Abassa, and look for all their pertinent information at Tortuga beach. The slightly older crowd tend to find theirs at Tortuga, Andaba. Doesn't matter which, they're usually getting the wrong info, and at worst, the wrong way to play altogether.

Now, what were those other sayings our dear mothers taught us? Oh, yes, two things:

1) Haste makes waste

2) Don't hang around with the wrong crowd.

How true. :SkullBullet1: