Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Sails and Ships (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Automatic Targetting of Broadsides (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40173)

Crimson Rose 01-14-2013 10:52 AM

Automatic Targetting of Broadsides

This happened to one of my newer characters, not Crimson.

Here I was doing a solo gold run, down between PdF and Kingshead. I parked my sloop a good distance away from a Black Harbinger, got on the cannon, and took out its masts as it came up. None of the swarm of Navy and EITC ships were bothering me, because I'd only been sinking cursed ships.

With the BH helpless I got back on the wheel, lined up my ship as best I could and began using broadsides to sink the BH. (This way I get half credit to cannon and half to sailing.) With the ship half-sunk, about my fifth broadside, suddenly the cannons fired DIRECTLY to my rear, hitting a Navy Colossus. Next thing you know 7 EITC and Navy ships were converging on me and I was in the middle of a storm of shot and shell. I barely made it to PdF, with the ship leaking and squeaking.

Why it would target something new when I have an obvious and established target directly on my broadside, I don't know, but it was a pain in the butt. This is besides the fact that firing directly to the rear like that is physically impossible in a real fighting sail ship.

Crimson Rose

Platinum Pirate 01-14-2013 03:24 PM

ROFL

I had that happened from time to time. Game hits whichever ship is the closest to yours regardless of which one you prefer to finish off. We call them Rogue Broadsides because of the freakish way they hit some ship behind ours. I learned to simply target a ship that's not in the middle of a hornet's nest when I'm sailing by my lonesome self or with one other gunner. If it happens anyway, I have no trouble sinking them all!

RogueWave 01-14-2013 05:30 PM

Yup, had this happen to me on several occasions, lol. I distinctly recall it occurring a couple times during the skeleton ship sinking competition and, as any salty pirate would react, some expletives flew! :laughks2:

Kriss_Man1 01-14-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueWave (Post 377976)
Yup, had this happen to me on several occasions, lol. I distinctly recall it occurring a couple times during the skeleton ship sinking competition and, as any salty pirate would react, some expletives flew! :laughks2:

OMG!

I've had it happen on numerous pirates of mine across my 3 accounts... Like RogueWave said, I also on MANY occasions have been heard to remit upon those unsuspecting Scurvy Dogs a Tirade of Profanity and Filth befitting a Pirate!

Needless to say, the next target of my "WRATH" directly after sinking the Scurvy Dogs of course... was my Broadside Gunners who were promptly jettisoned overboard by way of cannon for their sins.

:laughks2:

Kriss.

Bubbazeke707 01-14-2013 09:41 PM

I had this happen wih a crew, but never a broadside. I immediatly learned how to deal with and take advantage of 'Rouge Broadsides' because I'm one of th very few people who are like gods when it comes to sailing. I think It might of been a glitch, but it seemed I was so godly that they ran away, which triggered 'Rouge Broadsides' I can't control.:sailr: P.S. It was right after the first Treasure Fleet on Saterday.

J.T. 01-14-2013 10:05 PM

Yea, this happens a lot. One thing I've found though is that when you shoot off a broadside, if you press "Esc" and stop sailing the ship, then the broadsides will/should hit, but do nothing.

Tiberius Fireskull 01-14-2013 10:41 PM

I have had this happen to me before... not sure, but it tends to happen under laggier conditions, so it may have something to do with server lag. That broadside completely missing has made the difference between an extra chest of materials and a trip to Davy Jones's locker for me...

...and for the record, one time, I fired my left broadside, and it traveled through my ship and out the right side. Yeah physics!

CarribeanThunder 01-15-2013 02:58 AM

What Tiberius said happened to me too. I was fighting a Behemoth, and of course, my right broadside had to go to the Predator on my left. I don't understand what is wrong with the ship broadside coding. Even without server lag it can be problematic. More often than not, without a laggy server, you'll just have a broadside miss a ship point blank even if your aim is spot-on.

Kriss_Man1 01-15-2013 06:17 PM

YEP!

It's just yet another example of the extensive list of "coding bugs" which the game is riddled with, which if Disney spent almost no time or funding on, they could easily fix... Note I put almost in bold, because it seems like they are spending NO time or funds on the game of late.

But yeah, it's Coding which is poorly written and Disney cannot find the time nor motivation to fix it any time soon, so like me and Bubbazeke707 you learn to deal with it in your stride and become "Gods of the Ocean".

:piratewheelgo2:

Kriss.