Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Sails and Ships (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Pivateering/SvS Tips! (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17792)

leo 10-30-2010 05:33 AM

Pivateering/SvS Tips!

PrIvAtErInG TiPs
SVS/Ship vs Ship/Privateering is a great event in the game and i will explain the basics how to someone can be part of the good SvSer. SVS happens Mostly in ANDABA SERVER during the evening! EVERYONE SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY! -PLAY FAIR, HAVE FUN and don't port big bounty as it takes fun away from others

Tips for sailors:mat:

1. -Do NOT "OPEN FIRE" RIGHT AFTER YOU "TAKE COVER"
-WAIT UNTIL YOUR TAKE COVER IS FINISHED Then USE OPEN FIRE... or use open fire first then take cover
-TAKE COVER as soon or BEFORE you hit yellow on your hull when in battle

2. Do NOT use any sailing skills points on "treasure sense"
Do not use more than 1 skill point on "come about" ------ they will not help you

3. Fight the weaker side of the enemy ship

4. Get a good crew - possibly with your friends

5. Hitting your opponent with "ramming speed" will help you for about 5 seconds.

6. When entering a battle, do not sail with the front of of your ship straight into enemy but with a side facing them so your gunners have a angle to shoot

7. War Sloop and War Frigate are the BEST choice for SVS
-With a war sloop fight in midrange to far range with a crew. Also close range if you attack the weak side of the ship with gunners(BE QUICK)
-With war frigate, get close or midrange so your broadsides can shoot at the same time as your crew is gunning

8. Always give your gunners a angle to gun, do not switch sides of attack to many times because ur gunners going to be running from side to side instead of gunning

9. Know your enemy. Depending on the strength your enemy, you will know how to enter the battle and if to take it serious (fight close range or Far range) High bounty on enemy ship means strong ship

10. MASTER YOUR SAILING- should be your first thing done before starting to sail in SvS

Gunning Tips:pirate41:

1. In SVS "round, chain, grape, explosive" will NOT help much therefore do NOT use any "skill points" on them.

2. Shoot, Rapid reload, barrage, fury, fire and thunder are the main gunning skills/ammos in svs

3. If the ship is moving forward, shoot ahead of enemy ship

4. Equip a good Cannon Ram

5. Find good Captain

6. Practice in public ships then as you get better you can go with better captains and your friends

7. MASTER YOUR CANNON- should be your first thing done before gunning in svs

Welcome to SVS and Have fun mates!:pirate2wn0:

-LEO
-CAPTAIN OF GOLDEN LION

The Legend 11-03-2010 09:00 PM

I rule

You make it sound so easy when its not, lol. Andaba its hard to follow all these rules however if done right they seems to work when I tried them with some of my friends.
Thank you!

Pirate Bood 11-04-2010 11:33 PM

The Legend, everything takes practice, but svs is fun, its always fresh different people different performances each day. stick at it and u will love it:)
Leo is one of the top svsers in the game, we have been around a while so u got tips from the best here.

Great tips LEO:)

Maya/Silky
Paragon/TeamSVS

leo 11-14-2010 01:51 AM

SvS

The number one mistake players keep making is not following the first tip on sailing. STOP USING TAKE COVER THEN OPEN FIRE BECAUSE IT WASTES YOUR TAKE COVER. WAIT UNTIL TAKE COVERS TIME IS DONE THEN OPEN FIRE.
CHECK FOR SETTING UP YOU'RE SAILING/GUNNING
http://www.piratesonlineforums.com/f...ad.php?t=17937

leo 11-28-2010 06:31 PM

Sail with a crew

I see a lot of players set sail with a war frigate thinking that they will do good with their broadsides. Broadsides are not going to be enough when fighting a ship with a crew.
NO MATTER WHAT THE SHIP IS GET A CREW BEFORE SAILING IN SVS IN THE TOP 2 SERVERS. BROADSIDES AND RAM DO HELP BUT THEY ARE NOT ENOUGH TO SINK OTHER SHIPS WITH A CREW.
SAIL WITH A CREW

leo 03-12-2011 02:19 AM

Also something better to help that a friend of mine and a pro svser Bill Ironskull said. I will quote him.

Quote:

Howdy Mates, the way I am going to add to this is by pasting in Leo's suggestions and adding my comments in a different color to each.

Tips for sailors

1. -Do NOT "OPEN FIRE" RIGHT AFTER YOU "TAKE COVER"
-WAIT UNTIL YOUR TAKE COVER IS FINISHED Then USE OPEN FIRE... or use open fire first then take cover
-TAKE COVER as soon or BEFORE you hit yellow on your hull when in battle
Very helpful and a must
2. Do NOT use any sailing skills points on "treasure sense"
Do not use more than 1 skill point on "come about" ------ they will not help you

3. Fight the weaker side of the enemy ship
Another thing to keep in mind about fighting the enemy. Alot of ships like to stop in battle and duke it out. I think that if the other ships stops, that gives you an advantage on them. keep moving forward and circle them coming around their aft you can put on alot of damage and recieve less damage to your own ship. This not only puts you at the advantage but them at the disadvantage because they will have to switch sides of the ship to shoot at you again. That is if you haven't sunk them by the time you made it around the other side. So, my opinion is to not stop, don't sail backwards and don't spin. Those things just slow you down and if you did damage them good and they are still moving, gives them the advantage cuz they can hit ram or fullsail and take off on you amking it hard to finish the job you started. Also a waste of ammo trying to blast a ship from to far away.

4. Get a good crew that is patient and helpful and fun and does not care only about winning - possibly with your friends or guild
This is a must and lets not forget to not talk badly about others and create drama on your ship. This is suppose to be fun.

5. Hitting your opponent with "ramming speed" will help you for about 5 seconds.
Ram should only be used as a last resort or if you catch them off guard. Captain should let the gunners do the work. They can pack way more damage that ram could.

6. When entering a battle, do not sail with the front of of your ship straight into enemy but with a side facing them so your gunners have a angle to shoot
YES YES YES See number 5 above. Driving striaght into your enemy not only leaves you at a disadvantage but can frustrate your gunners.

7. War Sloop and War Frigate are the BEST choice for SVS
-With a war sloop fight in midrange to far range with a crew. Also close range if you attack the weak side of the ship with gunners(BE QUICK)
-With war frigate, get close or midrange so your broadsides can shoot at the same time as your crew is gunning

Broads are good but shouldn't depend on them. It is easy to miss with broads if the other ship hits ram or fullsail to pull away. Also, sometimes hard to figure the distance but that is something you learn as you go. I still say, let the gunners do the work. I can pack on some nasty damage with the right angle to shoot, even at a distance.

8. Always give your gunners a angle to gun, do not switch sides of attack to many times because ur gunners going to be running from side to side instead of gunning

Very good point. Also think of this. as I stated before, stopping and moving ship forward and reverse can through off your gunners aim. So continue forward and circle the enemy. If you can get a broadside to hit, all the better but don't vcount on it.

9. Know your enemy. Depending on the strength your enemy, you will know how to enter the battle and if to take it serious (fight close range or Far range) High bounty on enemy ship means strong ship

I agree. you may also need to adapt your sailing style to fight different ships with different methods. Also something learned as you go.

10. MASTER YOUR SAILING- should be your first thing done before starting to sail in SvS

A very BIG plus!
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Gunning Tips

1. In SVS "round, chain, grape, explosive" will NOT help much therefore do NOT use any "skill points" on them.

2. Shoot, Rapid reload, barrage, fury, fire and thunder are the main gunning skills/ammos in svs

3. If the ship is moving forward, shoot ahead of enemy ship

4. Equip a good Cannon Ram

Don't forget your potions in dire need for more damage.

5. Find good Captain (friend/guild)

6. Practice in public ships then as you get better you can go with better captains and your friends

Also asking some good captains to help you learn on a quiet server may help. Also can ask good gunners for help if you decide to be a gunner.

7. MASTER YOUR CANNON- should be your first thing done before gunning in svs

A Must!!

Again if you need any tips on something more specific, Just ask! I will be more than happy to help.

leo 06-12-2011 02:03 AM

More SvS tips...

First let me say that these tips are mainly about sailing with the crew as they play a crucial part in svs. You always want to be at a position where your crew has it easy to shoot the opponent and your opponent's crew has a bad angle to shoot you. Parallel sailing is common however not the best because it puts the battle in completely in the hands of the crew. As a captain you should place yourself in the gunners position on the ship you are sailing so you know if you are on the wrong position and angle. The best angles or position against your opponent are kind of diagonal from the enemy where your side is not facing the enemy's side but their their rear or front so their crew is vulnerable to shoot you. In other words, your crew has an angle to shoot but theirs doesn't.
This is a vivid explanation of what i mean. Like i said these are just a few(means there is more positions than these) positions and this might not always work depending on your opponents skill and how he/she defends himself. Also it depends on your speed and experience to execute this action.

This is not just in svs but sailing overall. In svs however, this plays a major role in the amount of damage done to your enemy and amount of damage received.
Like i said in the graphic above, it shows which side is more damaged therefore will receive a greater amount of damage from broadsides or crew ammunition. You should use the less damaged hull side to attack/defend and attack the more damaged hull side of the enemy ship.

CharlesGoldburn 07-26-2011 09:59 PM

Thank You!! I will surely take these tips and use on them on the High Seas!!

Thank You,
Charles Goldburn/Legendary SvSers

Dirty Tom Rackem 08-03-2011 12:10 AM

Good tips

Thanks for the svs tips. I knew about some of the tips presented on this thread but there are some that I did not know of. However, I don't think you have to be mastered at sailing or cannon to do well in svs. If a pirate is at level 20 at sailing or cannons, he or she will do fine.

Dirty Tom Rackem :piratewheelgo2:

leo 08-19-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Tom Rackem (Post 341359)
Thanks for the svs tips. I knew about some of the tips presented on this thread but there are some that I did not know of. However, I don't think you have to be mastered at sailing or cannon to do well in svs. If a pirate is at level 20 at sailing or cannons, he or she will do fine.

You don't need to be mastered do do good but you might need it for max performance. Mastering is also something you should want for your pirate.:dancetl6:

toanuju22 08-20-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Tom Rackem (Post 341359)

The secret is Maxed Roundshot, which not only improves the damage of your Individual Cannonshots, however also those of the Entire Broadside you Fire.

Nuju-

Captain Jorden 08-22-2011 12:42 PM

Also if you have a round shot cannon ram that has critical, Use it I'm using a common one and I sink a War Frigate in 4-2 broadsides with War Frigate.

It doesn't matter if u have 200-400 hit points. I got 525-900. With critcal, 1200-2100.

A broadside like that should sink a Fury Light Sloop in 4-25 seconds.

Well I haven't read anything yet. But I guess I'm done here.:)

Pirate Miranda 08-22-2011 06:23 PM

I have some more tips:
  • Use the line on your cannon to line-up with your enemies ship. Blast a powerful ammo first then use your weak to strong
  • Never take your time waiting for the ammo to recharges, when you are waiting fix the ship.
  • Line up with your enemies is never a good idea, try to block the front part of your enemies ship so the captain will take fewer times trying to get out while you cannon/blast off some ammo on to the ship
  • Use a Sloop or Light Sloop to kill your enemies better, they cannot line up with your ship easy since the big ship is higher than mini-ships.
  • If you have large crew, using a ship/boat that contains lots of cannons like sloops and better aiming.

Happy Plundering,
-Pirate Miranda- :SkullBullet1:

CharlesGoldburn 10-12-2011 06:15 PM

I love Leo's tips there always great and ever since I have taken them into consideration they help me ALOT!!

Charles Goldburn!
GM of Legendary Svsers!

leo 12-20-2011 05:58 AM

With the Brigs and Customization in the Game, Strategies might change. I will post new tips in a few days but for now, please post any new strategies or tips ye may with the new content in SvS. Weaknesses of ships, customization choice, maneuver and other stuff that will enhance your SvS abilities.