Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Sails and Ships (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Ship and Sailing Guide (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115)

Davy 05-16-2007 03:32 PM

Ship and Sailing Guide

If yer looking fer adventure, here be a guide to help ye pick the right ship (based off of my opinions of them).

Light Sloop: If ye can afford another ship, I'd do it. Light Sloops only have 2 cannons, no broadsides, and can only fit 2 people. The good part about this ship is that it is fast, and turns well. I rate this ship about a 5/10.

Light Galleon: Great ship for a beginner. It is pretty cheap too. Holds quite a bit of cargo, 3 crewmen, great ship to begin yer pirate journey on. Not easy to catch other ships though. I rate this ship about a 3/10.

Light Frigate: Light frigates, if affordable, are a step up from Light Galleons. They are fairly fast, have good cargo space, lots of cannons, some broadsides, and can hold 4 crew. Best beginner ship in the game. I rate this ship about a 5/10.

Sloop: Sloops are a good ship class, if ye get the level 5 sailing or War kind. They are fast, but don't hold much cargo. There are enough cannons to keep a full crew firing, and there are a good amount of broadsides. This thing turns great and is lightning fast. I rate this ship about a 7/10.

Galleon: This is a pretty good ship. It has difficult-to-break-through armor, holds good cargo, and holds lots of crewmen. The Galleon is a good ship class if you have speed upgrades. If you can't afford the Frigate but you have speed upgrades, this ship is your best option. I rate this ship about a 7/10.

Frigate: Expensive ship for beginners, but worth it. Holds lots of crew, good cargo, is fairly fast, has lots of cannons, and lots of broadsides. If you have the speed upgrades, this ship class is the best. I rate this ship about an 7/10 without speed upgrades, 8/10 with speed upgrades.

War Sloop: In my opinion, the best ship for those who don't have speed upgrades. Very fast, fairly good health stats, adequate number of cannons cannons, broadsides, cargo space, and crew space. I rate this ship a 8.5/10.

War Galleon: Fairly slow ship, but lots of cargo space, quite a bit of cannons, broadsides, and crew space make this a fantastic ship. If you have the speed upgrades, pick this ship if you can't afford the War Frigate. Great boat, but save up for the War Frigate if you want to wait. I rate this ship a 9/10.

War Frigate: The best ship in the game. Fast, holds lots of crew, tons of cannons and broadsides, tons of cargo space, and not easy to sink. This ship is incredible. The only bad part about it is the money. It is WAY overpriced for what you get. I rate this ship about a 9.5/10, if you can afford it.

Where to sail to:

Windward Passage. The Windward Passage has a HUGE array of ships out there. If you have a Frigate, Galleon, or any War ship, try this place.

Where not to sail to:

Windward Passage. There are so many Navy and EITC ships around there, so unless you have a great ship, you'll be sunk in no time.

Padres Del Fuego. Too many ghost ships around there, unless you fire from long-range.

Where the most coins are:

Padres Del Fuego, if you have a good ship. Again, there are lots of high level ships and ghost ships there. Get some good cannoneers and fire away.

Other:

How to command the broadsides: To command broadsides, it's simple. Press 1 to fire the left side, and 2 to fire the right side. Or you can click on the button, but I prefer pressing the hotkeys.

Sent in by Bellatrix:

Your ship reflects what kind of a pirate you are.

Take me for example. I would rather run from Navy ships than fight them, sail to
Cuba in under five minutes, and have a small crew. The frigates and galleons are
just too slow, complex, and it is really hard to get to the helm because of all the
steps and stuff.

Think about it this way: let's pretend there are 4 ships attacking you. If you are
on a sloop, you can just out run them. But if you are on a frigate or galleon, you
would have to fight.

If you and your crew are high notoriety pirates with high cannon skills, I would
use a sloop. The armor is not that great, which means you would need to destroy
the ship you are attacking very fast. But hey, sloops are about the thrill of almost
being blown to smithereens. If you just want to travel to another island very fast
or attack enemy ships really fast, pick this ship.

If you are new or travel with a large crew, go for the frigates and galleons. Even if
you get hit once, it is okay because your ships armor is high. The ships are still
very slow though.

I hope this guide helps you to be a more succesful Pirate in the game, and may fair winds be with ye, matey!

Thanks to: Bellatrix

Jade Heartbreaker 05-16-2007 05:17 PM

theres only 1 captain on a ship anyone else shouts orders they sleep with the fishes

wildtaz999 05-16-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Heartbreaker (Post 6794)
theres only 1 captain on a ship anyone else shouts orders they sleep with the fishes

lol i agree i grabed a couple newbies the other day to help them get soe cannon skills and one of them started mouthing off and grabbed the wheel so i pulled up my ship control and closed the ship and droped them all.. lol I do the same thing in Space in SWG if people dont play right

colbella 05-27-2007 02:59 AM

Thanks fer ye help, matie! when I get the game I will do what you said!

Sincerely-Colbella:)

Red Bull 05-27-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceSphere (Post 7487)
I'm like in "Water World", sailing solo.... When I read about the game on the site they make it sound like the Captain will be able to use the cannons below deck (like what the Navy has). I'll edit in a quote from the web site...

The captain does have control of below deck cannons, while in sailing mode, hold right mouse button down and u can select options for firing leftside or rightside, they take time to recharge though, and not very accurate.

However like everything they can only be improved through usage, and i spose once levels go up u can get better things to make them faster.

monkeybugs 05-28-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateAhoy (Post 6787)

Captain: Abandon ship if yer about to be sunk, and make sure yer entire crew escapes the ship also. When yer in the water, tell yer crew to follow ye and go jump on a Navy or EITC ship and raid it, killing all the crew of the enemy ship. Then take over the ship and take it in to port.

Ok, I don't quite understand this. How do you abandon ship in the middle of the ocean? It won't let you exit without being docked, and you can't return ship in the middle of an adventure. Also, I have been dropped in the middle of the ocean when my ships disappear and have tried to board navy or eitc ships and it tells me that you can't board. So what am I doing wrong?

Oh and what is a PPP?

Red Bull 05-28-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybugs (Post 7554)
Ok, I don't quite understand this. How do you abandon ship in the middle of the ocean? It won't let you exit without being docked, and you can't return ship in the middle of an adventure. Also, I have been dropped in the middle of the ocean when my ships disappear and have tried to board navy or eitc ships and it tells me that you can't board. So what am I doing wrong?

Oh and what is a PPP?

Well that statement was made over 20days ago, when maybe u cud do things like that, they certainly put in ship must be docked recently.

So I don't think that is possible anymore. I Certainly haven't managed to get on enemy ship yet, not even with grapple hook.

'Keep it Kool :cool:'

Davy 06-01-2007 04:25 PM

To abandon ship, just wait until your ship is sunk or fire a grappel hook from a cannon and have your crew hop on the Navy or EITC ship the grappel hook caught on. Then raid it and bring it in to a port.

Davy 07-04-2007 12:50 AM

I edited the guide. I made the first guide over a month ago, so some of the tips were inaccurate towards today's game, so I completely deleted that guide.

Bellatrix 07-16-2007 06:54 AM

Take me for example. I would rather run from Navy ships than fight them, sail to
Cuba in under five minutes, and have a small crew. The frigates and galleons are
just too slow, complex, and it is really hard to get to the helm because of all the
steps and stuff.

Think about it this way: let's pretend there are 4 ships attacking you. If you are
on a sloop, you can just out run them. But if you are on a frigate or galleon, you
would have to fight.

If you and your crew are high notoriety pirates with high cannon skills, I would
use a sloop. The armor is not that great, which means you would need to destroy
the ship you are attacking very fast. But hey, sloops are about the thrill of almost
being blown to smithereens. If you just want to travel to another island very fast
or attack enemy ships really fast, pick this ship.

If you are new or travel with a large crew, go for the frigates and galleons. Even if
you get hit once, it is okay because your ships armor is high. The ships are still
very slow though.

Davy 07-16-2007 02:03 PM

Thanks, crimson, I added your comment to the guide. You'll find it in 'Other' and your name in the list of thanks.

Davy 10-06-2007 12:50 AM

Edited the guide. Cannoneer's guide coming soon! Look for it in 'The Helm' forum.

IceSphere 10-06-2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellatrix (Post 9437)

steps and stuff.

I deleted old posts that didn't fit here any more, and I'll edit this one latter. The quote just made me luugh 'cause with this last patch up-date, I can jump all the way accross my ship...

If you feel like glitching, try jumping off the back end of a frigate... If it works you should end up swimming. But go under a ship and you'll be swimming just above deck... Sails up/down might effect how you get your ship back. I have poped right back on deck, and I've had to get on my own cannon to return.

While you are on your endless voyages, right click/hold and work that camera over to the side of your ship so you can see where your broad side shots go. This will be REALLY difficult 'caues of LAGGG.
Nothing will move if there is a lag spike- then you'll jump 3/4 the way around your ship... Once you get this down, fighting on auto pilot (shift+R)should be a little easier, and unless they change things, you can make some gold/finish quests without sinking a ship all the way.

VesNL 11-04-2007 07:25 PM

great guide. Also a tip use the strenghts and weakness of the boats. When attacking a galleon attack it's front and side. When attacking a frigate attack the back

Captain 11-04-2007 07:37 PM

If POTCO runs so slow on your computer, how were you able to make this?