Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Sails and Ships (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   War Brig vs War Frigate. (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34519)

Captain Jorden 02-13-2012 09:18 PM

War Brig vs War Frigate.

In my experiances with the War Brig, I've seen very Weak pannels, even though it has almost the exact same stats as the frigate. Does anyone else feel this. I've had good experiances with the war frigate, I just can't find anything good enough for me thats better then the War frigate.

akamystic 02-13-2012 10:09 PM

Tough call. I think I'll have to agree about War Frigate having a better hull from what I've seen. The War Brig has better broadsides and seems to maneuver a tad better. I like something about each War Ship......too bad we only have 3 slots.

Slasher 02-13-2012 10:23 PM

Aka put it pretty well.. Yeah, my War Brig can move just a bit faster than my War Frigate can. In battle, that does help. But I haven't entirely seen the weak pannels yet.. I'll have to check that.

Captain Del 02-14-2012 01:02 AM

When it comes to comparing ships to see which is better, it comes down to the customization of your ship, the skill of the pirate, and most importantly, the style to which the pirate sails.

Take for example my prized Victory Shark War Frigate. I've spent a good amount of gold getting her supped up to help lead her in to battle - I went ahead with reinforcing her panels and giving his a Take Cover boost, which combined with my Offensive-Crew-Styled skill set up (mainly focusing on Open Fire, Taskmaster, and other skills that will optimize shooting for me partners), and the fact that the War Frigate is made to be a tank to begin with, creates for one beast of a battle ship. I'm confident that once I gather enough materials and pimp her out to her fullest ability, she'll be strong enough to take down waves of Bounty Hunters with ease (as if she already doesn't!)

On the opposite side of the spectrum, we have my Victory Shark War Sloop. Given the fact that the War Sloop has a far advantage when it comes to speed, but lacks when it comes to armor, I want to make sure that while I give her a little move upward in her sails, I also want to beef her up a bit to make sure she can stand on the seas long enough to take out her foes, without having to rely too much on just being fast. Being an SvS ship, I want to make sure to not give her any specific modifications that make one sole thing incredibly stronger than all the others - it's good to realize sooner or later that having too much of one strength makes you weak overall in privateering.

Now, what would happen if I took these two ships and threw them in to battle with one another? That would be an unfair disadvantage to the War Frigate, as it is designed specifically for fighting large groups of NPC ships - meanwhile, the War Sloop is designed to target player ships, which are much more different in battle. Just because the War Sloop would win in that matchup does not make it a better ship - it just makes it a better ship for privateering.

Thusly, trying to compare a War Brig (which is made for an even balance between cargo, firepower, and speed) and a War Frigate (which focuses on brute strength) in respective realms is always a challenge. Though there is not as much of a contrast as between the Frigate and the Sloop, two extremes on either side of spectrum, it's still unfair to say that "which would win in the fight" automatically makes the victor the better ship.

In the end, it all comes down to the style of the player. I never intend on buying a War Brig, but that doesn't mean I'll criticize you if you decide to buy one - I just see it as a challenge ;)

P.S. War Galleons are just plain bad though :p

Captain Jorden 02-14-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Del (Post 364437)

P.S. War Galleons are just plain bad though :p

That made me laugh so hard, it lasted like 15min, thanks for that comment. Lol

It looks like my next ship will be a War Frigate.

Captain Jason 02-15-2012 01:05 AM

I saw a streamlined War Galleon once... Fail.

Anyways, I agree with Del. It's hard to compare ships, especially ones made for totally different jobs. If I had to pick, however, I would choose a War Frigate. It's superior hull and excellent firepower far outweigh the few negatives, in my opinion. Before the Brig came out, it was easily the most balanced, plus it's strong enough for big groups of NPC ships and it's still pretty good for privateering. The cost is certainly an advantage too.

Rannulf 02-15-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jason (Post 364597)
I saw a streamlined War Galleon once... Fail.

I had one on test. It was not a fail. It was quite the plunder runner. It was a Firestorm. This hull upgrade eliminated all the short falls of a Galleon against NPC ships. I had a lot of fun with it, but decided to change to Fortune Hunter.

On live a Firestorm War Galleon would be better then a Fortune Hunter one. Why ye ask? Well it will take a great captain and hard hitting crew with fortitude to land a haul of full rare materials with a Fortune Hunter. A Firestorm on the other hand could be done with minimal port now cries.

As to the original question War Brig or War Frigate? I say take a War Frigate, it is the easiest to sail and land broadsides with. The War Brig is a ship more meant for a master-helmsmen. In the right hands a War Brig will crush all NPC ships including the dreaded SOTL with ease. The balance of speed and broadside power is hard to beat, but she is hard to aim broads with for the novice helmsmen. Also skill point distribution is more critical then with other ship classes to get maximum performance out of her.

So in summation take the War Frigate.

Admiral Johnny Seasteel 02-15-2012 08:29 PM

To me, the War Brig suits my own personal style of wanting more power in my broadsides and all. However, I think War Brig pretty much has NO weaknesses when it comes to being hit SOME. Now a LOT I can understand it having weak armor in the panels but having just SOME damage might not be too much of a problem. Case in point, I have Skull and Bones for my War Brig and it's turned out GREAT!!!!!! :D :D :D :D Anywho, I also think Del is correct in saying it's probably best not to try and compare and contrast ships. You could, as he said, just do it as a challenge to yerself. Hope this helps.

Nate Swordwalker 02-15-2012 08:34 PM

(In a Russian accent) I like power. When I upgraded my War Brig to Copperhead, I had that power. That power remains with me and I have soloed a full rare materials run with it. My war brig is my baby. You no take my baby.

Seriously though, War Brig is great for people who know how to sail. In SvS, I have one broadside sunk ships with it. The war brig, IMO, is the ship to go with.

Bubbazeke707 01-03-2013 03:33 PM

Though I only have a War Brig ( Because when it came out I sold my War Frigate to buy the brig cuz it was new and unknown to me. ) I've had both ships during different times ans can honestly say they are similar, but have their difference. War Brig has less armor but I'm experienced enough were I don't want to sell it instantly. To top off the brig, I've seen it helped me with a little speed, and it spreads broadside more to hit more than one ship. War Frigate is all about strength for me. It was very hard for me to sink with one of those and got a crew very easily. People like War Frigate so much and had more experience with a War Frigate, so they come on board knowing theirs more strength.

War Galleon is just to tall and slow for me. The sails can be as tall as they want, but I don't like the hull size. Small and fast = hard to hit and easy escape. Huge and slow = easy to hit with explosive and your most terrible broadside. One reason I didn't want the Ship of the Line. Big broadside, maybe just too big.:Pirate7::7c810c6517:

CarribeanThunder 01-03-2013 11:19 PM

The War Brig is basically all ships in one, in my opinion. The speed and turning of the War Sloop, the hull strength and cargo capacity of the War Frigate, and the cannons and crew capacity of the War Galleon (at least for the broadsides. It has two more deck cannons than the War Galleon).

I personally think that with the release of the War Brig, the War Galleon has become obselete, and I would honestly prefer having both the War Brig and War Frigate, because both are very good all around. Having a Storm Chaser Lv5 War Brig on Test myself, I find it very useful. Even as a plain War Brig, or one with Streamline, it's good for getting around and for sinking ships. Though I don't use my War Frigate often anymore, as sad as I am to say, I still find it useful for battles. I don't use it for travel though.

Tuefenhandel 01-04-2013 03:23 PM

I have both a War Frigate (Level VI Skulls and Bones), and a War Brig (Level IV Fortune Hunter). To me the "best" ship is the one that give me the best opportunity to achieve my goal. For the record, I also have a War Sloop (Level IV Storm Chaser).

Initially, I wanted the "full set" of upgraded ships. Now that I have reached that goal, I am starting to lean more towards the War Frigate. The reason might surprise you.

What I have found is that it takes a LOT of time to fill the last 8 cargo spots on the War Brig (which holds 24, compared to 16 for the Frigate and Sloop). After spending a week closely watching the time it takes to full the 24 spots on a rare materials run, the returns do not warrant the time being invested. This is partly due to the fact that at least 1-2 of the final 8 cargo spots will be locked with a loot or loot skull chest. IMO the loot chests are not as valuable as the cargo that is displaced in this position (think of it as an opportunity cost, or what is the value of what would have fit in the hold if the loot chest was not there).

So, I can draw hunters roughly 33% faster with a War Frigate than I can the War Brig - and I can "top off" the cargo hold 33% faster (16 vs. 24). Again, after closely monitoring the returns (total gold) against the time it takes to fill I happen to think that the War Frigate is the more valuable option when making mat runs.

Also, it has been my observation that the returns on a mat run (when going for gold) are equal to a straight gold run based on the amount of time. Of course, this depends on how effective your crew is with regards to how quickly your crew can sink the war ship.

Crimson Rose 01-05-2013 06:25 PM

I have a Copperhead V war brig. I've had a war frigate, and I wouldn't get one again.

I actually find the brig and frigate are about the same, although the brig has a definite advantage for my style of sailing.

My preference for the brig is for one main reason, which might or might not surprise you - the frigate is UGLY! I don't know where POTCO came up with the design, but it resembles no real ship that I've ever seen.

What I actually prefer is my fully-upgraded Storm Chaser War Sloop. I rigged it from the beginning for speed and maneuverability. It may not be able to take a lot of damage, but with good sailing maneuvers it is hard to hit!

So the war sloop is effective against NPC ships and for privateering. I only bring my brig out for serious materials runs. And, Tuefenhandel, since it was rigged for armour in the first place, the hold only carries 16 items.

For anyone who knows me, all my ships are named ... (Three guesses!) ... Crimson Rose. Look for me on Andaba if you want to take part in a mats run.

Crimson Rose