Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Mobile: Cannons Of The Deep (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Thoughts, Observations and the Giant Octopus (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12320)

ex8404 07-11-2009 02:09 PM

Thoughts, Observations and the Giant Octopus

Thoughts

I just started playing COTD three days ago. I have already earned over 26,000 gold and the only reason it is that low is because I repair my ship regularly. I have also transferred 3,000 in gold to my daughter's abandoned pirate because I was wondering just how low leveled a pirate can be and still own a war frigate...

COTD is not as much a game as it is mouse clicking for free gold. But it is also addictive. I repair my ship because the only way you can earn plunder is to fight.

I have a War Sloop, Dardanellas Guns (Damage 5. Uhmmm... 5 what?) and a Gargoyle Figurehead. I have some sheet music, some COTD treasure listed on my pirates page. I have never earned a hull larger than a War Sloop and would love a Royal Galleon or even a War Frigate....

Observations

Close-Range, Mid-Range and Long-Range seem meaningless in terms of power. Angle is critical but power seems to be random. After about 50 battles where a Close-Range ship took High Power or a a Long-Range ship took Low Power, I just decided to always start on medium power. That way, I only have to move up or down one depending on whether I overshot or undershot.

If I'm wrong, let me know...

The Giant Octopus...

I have met at least 6 Giant Octopi in the past day or two and am utterly destroyed within two or three rounds of battle.

Here is my ship layout again....

Currently Installed:
Cannons: Dardanellas Gun
Hull: War Sloop
Figurehead: Gargoyle

Any suggestions? And what do I get if I ever get him?

Anyway, thanks for reading...

UPDATE: 45 seconds after writing this, I plundered a War Frigate...

Crazypirate 07-11-2009 02:17 PM

Tip: use the back button it should be disabled but it is not. This allows you to repeatedly sink the same ship and ensure that your first shot never misses.

ex8404 07-11-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypirate (Post 150570)
Tip: use the back button it should be disabled but it is not. This allows you to repeatedly sink the same ship and ensure that your first shot never misses.

Thanks, I'll try that.

And I want to add another observation. The COTD ship designs are WAY cooler than the ones we have on POTCO... In my opinion.

Nelly Darkpaine 07-11-2009 04:01 PM

As another note - the safe bets for firing is this:

When it says 'close range' I use 10 for angle, and ALWAYS medium power.
When it says 'medium range' I use 20 for angle and ALWAYS medium power.
When it says 'far range' I use 40 for angle and ALWAYS medium power.

It NEVER says my angle is wrong, just says 'you overshot' or, 'a tad short' so you KNOW to change the medium power to low, or high based on shooting too far, or too short.

Hope this helps as well!