Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marked Cards, Sunk Ships, and Fishing Tales (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   How to play Tortuga Hold Em Poker? (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6444)

kmmmonke 07-10-2008 08:05 PM

How to play Tortuga Hold Em Poker?

Hey guys. I don't know how to play the Tortuga Hold Em Poker game,so I was wondering if anyone could explain how? Thanks.

- Kmmmonke

Dr. Zeppers 07-10-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmmmonke (Post 53262)
Hey guys. I don't know how to play the Tortuga Hold Em Poker game,so I was wondering if anyone could explain how? Thanks.

- Kmmmonke

Here are a couple of links that will help you with playing Tortuga Holdem.

HERE and HERE

(thanks to Chris, who'd posted those links elsewheres) ;)

Tuefenhandel 07-10-2008 08:55 PM

One word: cheat.

(But, don't get caught!)

CrimsonRabbit 07-10-2008 10:53 PM

One more time...I think this is the third time I've posted these instructions...

Rabbit's Basic Rundown of Hold'em Poker if you don't care to check out Wiki:
~Your looking to form the BEST 5 Card hand possible out of the 7 cards you see on the table.
  • The more things match...the better...just remember that.
  • Aces can be played low (as a 1) to make a A,2,3,4,5 straight...otherwise it's highest card available)
  • Card values are easy...from weakest to strongest: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,Jack,Queen,King,Ace

Hands are shown below from weakest to strongest
  • 2 of a kind (two cards with matching numbers)
  • 3 of a kind (three cards with matching numbers)
  • Straight (all 5 cards, numbered IN ORDER...ie...5,6,7,8,9...don't have to be in the correct order in your hand)
  • Flush (all 5 cards have to have the SAME SUIT)
  • Full house (3 cards with a matching number AND 2 cards with different matching number)
  • 4 of a kind (four cards with matching numbers)
  • Straight Flush (all 5 cards, numbered IN ORDER and in SAME SUIT)
  • Royal Flush (highest hand possible...10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace....all in SAME SUIT)

THE TURNS
  • 1st turn...everyone will receive 2 cards. These are your personal cards that nobody else can use. They're the secret of winning. EVERYONE Bets/Checks/Folds
  • 2nd turn...dealer will turn over 3 cards. These are for everyone at the table to use in coordination with the 2 they just got. This is when you have the best idea of what type of hand you have. EVERYONE Bets/Checks/Folds
  • 3rd turn...dealer will turn over 1 cards. Like before, this is for everyone. Now you have 6 cards on the table...make your best hand (as shown above) using ONLY 5 of these cards. EVERYONE Bets/Checks/Folds
  • 4th turn (final)...dealer will turn 1 final card over. Just like before and before, this is for everyone. Now you have 7 cards to make your BEST 5 CARD HAND out of. EVERYONE Bets/Checks/Folds
  • AFTER 4th TURN, EVERYONE SHOWS THEIR CARDS AND WINNER WINS ALL CASH IN THE POT

WHAT YOUR OPTIONS MEAN WHEN IT'S YOUR TURN
CHECK = you are not betting any additional money that round but would like to stay in to see another card
CALL = another player has already placed a bet this round and to continue to play that hand, you must put money in..."check" is not an option at this point
BET/RAISE = you like the odds of your hand, so bet more money to get a bigger pot (pot is amount of money everyone has bet so far)
FOLD = your hand stinks and you don't want to waste money with it

ExpeditionX 07-12-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmmmonke (Post 53262)

- Kmmmonke

Just hit different buttons, I've used this strategy, and, out of 30 or so hands, have only lost 2 or 3 times. :)

Tagerr 07-14-2008 03:26 AM

Well the choices are swap 1st card, swap 2nd card, call/check, bet [], and fold.

Swapping: Either your first or second card requires your own personal cards you get by killing enemies or doing quests. It will either fail, succeed and not get caught, or succeed and get caught. When you get caught, it says you are fined 100 gold and you are sent to jail. Sometimes you don't get caught, but sometimes you do. I only suggest this for large ammounts of money, not for just a little ammount.

Calling: Usually you call at the beginning of the game, if everyone presses the call button at the first ' round ' the dealer puts down three cards. If someone bets, then you keep doing it till they do put cards down. I do only suggest calling at the beginning unless you got something pretty good.

Checking: After the three cards are put down, the choice is check, the button is where the call button is, but it changed. If no one bets any gold, then it stays at check, but if someone does it goes back to call. What the difference is that I think you don't need to pay gold for checking, which does help a lot.

Betting: This raises and lowers by the other people's actions, if someone bets it gets higher, if someone calls/folds it goes lower. You should only bet when you are confident with what you have.

Folding: If your cards are just terrible, then you can fold. This option will take you out of a game because you have a bad hand.

This was just deeper in the options than Crimson's post. To check the hands look at her post. The best place to play poker is padres, because the money gets higher since the game starts at 30, and the bets/calls are higher.

Mantaraya 07-14-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagerr (Post 53984)
<snip>

Swapping: Either your first or second card requires your own personal cards you get by killing enemies or doing quests. It will either fail, succeed and not get caught, or succeed and get caught. When you get caught, it says you are fined 100 gold and you are sent to jail. Sometimes you don't get caught, but sometimes you do. I only suggest this for large ammounts of money, not for just a little ammount.
<snip>

I just wanted to add that the later you wait to swap, the MUCH greater your chances are that you will fail. I recommend swapping cards only on the second turn. Swapping on the third and fourth turns usually means you just wasted a card, and you're still stuck with the crappy hand that made you want to cheat in the first place. In other words, you're going to lose. Or if your hand is already good enough to win, why did you waste that card?

Swapping on the first turn is bad because it increases your chances of getting caught (there are still a lot more cards to come up), and what five card hand could you possibly be making with just two cards? After the flop, when there are three more cards on the table, THEN you have enough cards to make a good hand.

Swap on Turn / Chances
(1) Deal (2 cards) / always successful
(2) Flop (3 more cards) / usually successful, sometimes (rarely) fails <-- CHEAT ON THIS TURN
(3) First single / sometimes successful, frequently fails
(4) Last card (all cards on table) / Rarely successful, usually fails

:shark: Mantaraya

:ss_wtp-ani:

Gabyta 07-14-2008 04:15 PM

great guide!! thank you!!!

kmmmonke 07-14-2008 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone,you all helped a lot! Once again I would like to thank you all,and Good Luck with everything you do!

-Kmmmonke

Swash 07-14-2008 07:07 PM

dont cheat theres a good chance you'll lose money

Mantaraya 07-15-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swashbuckler (Post 54159)
dont cheat theres a good chance you'll lose money

Actually I made about 5,000 in gold today cheating at poker. It's not as lucrative as blackjack, but I only had 2s and 3s left in my cheat cards, so I played poker. I won a lot of three-of-a-kind hands with 2s and 3s. One trick that helps is always betting on the first hand. The NPCs fold if they have crappy cards, i.e., 2s and 3s. By getting them to fold early, it helped reduce my chances of getting caught cheating, since I was only cheating with 2s and 3s.

:shark: Mantaraya