Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Sails and Ships (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Shipboard Etiquette (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34790)

Crimson Rose 02-17-2012 03:42 PM

Shipboard Etiquette

I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but here are a few notes of shipboard etiquette:

1. Don't just appear on someone's ship, ask first (unless it's public, or you've been invited or are crew);
2. If you are just arrived on a ship, ask what the targets are, or at least wait for your captain to open fire first;
3. If there's no shooting to be done, repair.

Any suggestions? Anything I've missed?

I've had too many "kids" appearing suddenly on my ship and then start blasting away at anything that comes close. I have a sloop which I have rigged for speed, which I use if I just want to get to remote islands. I had one person appear on it, start shooting, and next thing I knew everything was shooting back at me. I barely limped into harbour.

It seems I have several pirate "friends" who appear on my ship as soon as I am on board. I'm going to have to start reducing my "friends" list.

Crimson Rose

akamystic 02-17-2012 03:57 PM

I think it's important to remember when you're talking about this issue, that most of the offenders are breaking a rule that most guilds have in place. Don't TP without asking. My guild knows this as well as my friends on my list. Every now and then I'll get a random transport and I'll kindly remind the pirate to refrain from doing so.

So having said that, if they can't follow simple rules they probably shouldn't be in your guild or friends list. It does get aggravating when a crew is completely out of control. It's mutiny! There's nothing worse than a freeloader! I love seeing them tossing grenades, dropping desolation, firing guns and/or hiding somewhere on the ship. The list goes on. As you stated, pirates should respect the captain and follow orders. If they want to do otherwise, they should take out their own ship.

Platinum Pirate 02-19-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Rose (Post 364904)
It seems I have several pirate "friends" who appear on my ship as soon as I am on board. I'm going to have to start reducing my "friends" list.

Crimson Rose

Have you tried clearing that checkbox next to Friends as soon as you board your own ship?

I had an unruly brat on board my ship last night. He was calm at first and requested to 'drive' my ship, which whenever a pirate is unable to use the proper nautical term, I have a tendency to say 'N-O'. So I told him no and later after we had finished our plunder run, I saw that he was a Basic 11 who ran around shooting his guns and swinging his swords. Told him to cut it out. He continued to fire off so I ordered my first mate to port and kick the guy from crew. lol, that unruly pirate calls me a Bilge Rat.

I didn't care. I simply Ignored him and noticed to my surprise something 'new'. The words Ignore flashed before my face in purple color. It was so funny as he followed me into the gunsmith's shop, the word Ignore was over his pirate like the Scarlett A. Good thing my other friend invited me to plunder for some rare ship materials at another server. I knew that unruly pirate wouldn't be following me there. hahahaahahahahaaaa

Crimson Rose 02-21-2012 04:12 AM

Yes, I've tried clearing all check boxes on the permission to board drop-down. These two in particular are "friends" of mine, and teleport to see ME without a by-your-leave.

I have asked both of them to not teleport to me without asking. The one ignored that and popped onto my ship just as I was leaving an island. I turned around, landed again and immediately cut him from my friends list.

The second came onto my ship, I asked him not to without asking. He tp'd off, asked, then popped on without waiting for a reply. He too got trimmed from my friends list in short order.

I have not had any problems since then (but it's only been a day since the last one.) These two were the main offenders.

Btw, my friends list was getting HUGE. I cut out a number of names that I did not recognize. If I inadvertently cut any of you out, I'm sorry. Let me know.

Crimson Rose

Captain Gas 02-21-2012 04:29 AM

Anyway, I agree with you. Sometimes, if I'm fishing or sailing, I'd get a random tp and ask them to get off. If they don't, I'm forced to port and take them off my friends list. The worst part is, porting a fishing boat means a waste of 1,000 gold. I've noticed that more people these days are rude, so watch out for Abassa and other rude people.

Platinum Pirate 02-21-2012 05:21 AM

You did the right thing Crimson. Friends respect their friend's boundaries no matter how old they are. If those two were actually adults...

For me though, since I started playing, it wasn't an issue. I'm pretty easy going with my friends teleporting to me while sailing. They know what to do and how to do it. Sometimes they ask if they can anyway and normally I tell them, 'sure'. Nowadays, new friends tend to be loners or stick to their routine. Made one today with my second pirate. I landed at Devil's to drop off Gentry and Jack crewed me. I almost turned him down but then I changed my mind for one simple reason: he needed someone to help him with sinking... two Ship of the Line ships lingering nearby. We boarded his ship, repaired as fast as we could and sailed up to one, the Tally-Ho, trying to sink it best we could. We had so much fun in the attempts and I felt so bad for him since his ship sank twice so I logged out and logged back in with my stronger pirate. We sank both and lived to tell the tale. Just the two of us at the Tally-Ho and with a third friend at the other one. lol what fun.

I'm glad I accepted his invitation. We low levels proved something together: true friends make this game more enjoyable.

Crimson Rose 02-21-2012 08:03 PM

Unfortunately when I started I accepted any friend invitation that came along. Not wise.

These days I make a point of asking, and only after any pirate and myself have cooperated and I have a sense of how this person operates.

Crimson Rose

Kriss_Man1 12-22-2012 03:17 PM

Aye,

Preaching to the converted it may be, but always serves as a reminder of some of the "Bilge Rats" that prowl the Caribbean causing grief for others...

Personally, my Main acct. doesn't accept "Random Friend Requests" to which there is no exceptions as well as a STRICT ask before TP rule to which I have no hesitation in deleting pirates for a first offense.

My second acct. is rather more a relaxed acct. I quite willingly accept "Random Friend Requests" and even "Random TP's" but still only accept so much from a pirate before removing them.

Big difference for my two accts. is my Main acct. is primarily running my Main Guild, as a result has to often attend/run Guild and Officers Meetings, which make for an awkward intrusion by any Pirate making a Random TP.

My second acct. really is more just for mucking around and "Goofing Off", but I still am working to Level and Master it's pirates... LOL

Cheers!:character0181:

Bubbazeke707 12-23-2012 03:23 PM

This is a HUGE reason why I sail alone. My guild, Pirate Life Thugs, is one of them EXTREMELY polite guilds. They even sometimes ask if they can join a conversation! They ask fer everything. To help loot, level, and are very united, unlike those guilds who ne'er come online.:xangry: This guild enhances ones chance to sail together because their very respectful.:snowball: There are SO MANY guilds with order, but most are lower level guildmasters ( not that their noobs or less capable ) that can't always have order, making the newer pirates annoying and can only be fixed by being around good people. Anyway, I sail alone.

SuperBadger 12-31-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Rose (Post 365266)
Unfortunately when I started I accepted any friend invitation that came along. Not wise.

Aye, sadly I made the same mistake. Maybe one day I'll get around to removing them. I don't remember why I friended 2/3 of my "friends" :grinch: People literally friended me for having green hair. Well over 60% of them haven't played in well over a year, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps someone on hear could teach me how to make real friends in the game. Please.

Platinum Pirate 01-01-2013 01:45 AM

Here's a radical idea:
Friend here and meet there. Worked for me. ;)

Crimson Rose 01-01-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBadger (Post 377823)
Perhaps someone on hear could teach me how to make real friends in the game. Please.

I'm not going to "teach" you, just make a suggestion or two.

I will not even consider a friend request - either given or accepted - until I've worked with a pirate for a while. I look for things that indicate they are considerate and helpful, or in other words not completely selfish. Healing you without asking and repairing aboard ship are a couple of big ones for me. A captain who knows how to work with a crew is also big - shows consideration.

Two days in a row I met a couple of medium-levels that I helped with quests. One told me she was finished and asked if I needed anything. The other just suddenly teleported away as soon as he was finished, leaving me in the middle of a dungeon. Which do you think I befriended?

Crimson Rose