Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO Bugs, Barnacles, & Glitches (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   At the "Edge" of My Wits (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35337)

Captain Del 04-01-2012 09:09 PM

At the "Edge" of My Wits

As many of you know I like to keep my guild mates under a well-managed code of honor to ensure that all of them turn out to be the best pirates they can be. This entails a lot of things, though one of the more specific and loosely-defined parts of these guidelines would be not using certain glitches.

With the recent rise of the age of Ship Customization and the constant need for doing battle with the ever-dangerous bounty hunters that drop those precious ship materials, many pirates who have become desperate for them have resorted to a new glitch referred to as the "End of the World" glitch. The captain of a ship uses the barrier known as the Edge of the World to slide against an invisible wall, which, when sailing against, allows for that ship to go unharmed as the the enemy ships are unable to fire at them. It's a true phenomenon as to how it works, and moreover how it has managed to catch on with so many pirates.

I deliberated for a long time as to whether this glitch should be "frowned upon" or not in my guild because while it is not necessarily considered a "cheat," it is cheating in the sense it allows for a pirate to skip the constant loom of damage against his or her ship and thus become "invincible." Only recently did I decide that this practice would not be used in my guild, though today I was shocked to find out how the subject matter of this "glitch" was actually more disputed than I imagined.

My guild mates and I were out on material run this afternoon, captained by our very own Benjamin Cannonwallace. We were doing pretty good, but seeing as how the hunters were beginning to challenge our crew, we opened up public and invited a few of our friends to join us.

Things went smoothly for the first few hunters; our crew was strong enough to take down the hunters in a matter of a few seconds, and we weren't taking much damage, though we did have a few pirates who worked the repair spots quite well. Eventually the war ships showed up, and right as a Tally-Ho approached us from the side I had to make a quick ammo run.

I teleported away and got back to the ship in a little less than a minute, but when I got back the atmosphere on the ship had entirely changed - the ship had taken substantial damage, and the entire crew (the majority of which were high leveled pirates who had entered through the Public setting) was yelling at my guild mates on a vary of issues. "REPAIR FASTER" "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" "Why aren't we doing the End of the World glitch!?"

The latter of the three was the most prominent issue, which only grew after I asserted that my guild didn't believe in using that glitch (which we had asserted earlier in the run.) The majority of the argument was whether the glitch was "cheeting" or not - while I and my guildies argued that it was because it makes your ship unable to take damage, the other pirates argued that the glitch was a "tactic" and was simply a smarter thing to do than sailing head on. They also asserted that in order to have a proper fight with bounty hunters you needed a good captain, which they implied my guild mate was not.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...gmisssteak.png

It seemed to me that the main thing that drove those pirates was the fact that it made it easier for them to acquire materials, and that in order for you to have an actual fight with bounty hunters you needed a lot more time and skill than would normally be needed on a regular sailing run. Although I won't argue that it does indeed take a lot of patience and skill, it doesn't take away from the fact being invincible against damage is cheating, and that the only thing cheating does is make the game unfair between players.

I allowed for the glitch to be used for only a moment so that we could allow ourselves to prepare while the massive fight was going on board the ship, but even because of that my guild mates and I felt guilty - so much so we inevitably ported the ship minutes afterwards.

It angers me that pirates now adays, (as so lovely put by Captain Sharktooth,) have become so depended on glitches for everything they do that they become irrational when they are faced by a group of pirates who chooses not to use them. The fact that these pirates went so far as to challenge the authority of both myself and the captain of the ship, as well as insult our intelligence simply because we are against using a "tactic" like that, only shows how some pirates have forgotten to be kind towards other pirates.

So, I propose to you all today with a question: Do you believe that the "End of the World" glitch is cheating?

Benjamin Cannonwallace 04-01-2012 09:19 PM

I agree that it is cheating (though i have done it a few times) because the admins did not want the outcome to be that we won't receive any damage it's there so you don't wander out into no man's land. That though was one of the biggest flames i have been through about cheating though.

I strongly agree that it is cheating your way to get the materials easier.

Rannulf 04-01-2012 10:48 PM

I choose not to use any glitches, cheats or exploits. I classify the edge of the world "tactic" as an exploit.

The wide spread use of this exploit is because it is truly not easy to fight warships. The hunters with a semi decent crew can be taken with out much problem. Yet a hunter and a warship is a daunting task.

A test pirate was the creator and founder of the edge of the world. It was done to speed up the process to get our ships maxed so we could get the new content hashed out for live. The sad thing is some testers took this to live.

I heckle those that use it, and cry that I use it. Because it truly requires no skill. I was on a ship yesterday that was on the edge. It was manned by a crew of no higher a level then 14. They were all furiously shooting a Battle-Royale. It took a long time to sink it.

I do agree that the crop of new pirates are more dependent on the use of cheats, exploits, and glitches. This wide spread lack of will to face a challenge is sad.

I agree Dell that the edge of the world is an exploit. It uses to an advantage something that the Game Developers had not intended. I will not do it. I encourage all pirates to not do it, but short of Lord Mouse making an adjustment to eliminate it. I fear it is here to stay.

All those of us that do care can do is frown upon it. Stand together and frown upon it. Then pray Lord Mouse helps us out!

Crimson Rose 04-01-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Del (Post 367714)
As many of you know I like to keep my guild mates under a well-managed code of honor to ensure that all of them turn out to be the best pirates they can be. This entails a lot of things, though one of the more specific and loosely-defined parts of these guidelines would be not using certain glitches.

Yes, I would say that using that glitch is cheating. I have been aboard ships that have used that tactic, but I have never used it myself, nor have I urged other helmsmen to do so.

Captain Del, your guild sounds like one I would like to be part of. Can you meet my character some time soon and enlist her?

Crimson Rose

Captain Sharktooth 04-01-2012 11:25 PM

As Del said above, I found it funny that the people on the ship were so dependent on the glitches; they were mad that we weren't doing the End of the World glitch.

Years ago, when I would see someone doing a glitch, such as the flying over Tortuga glitch, I was shocked that they were doing the glitch, now it's the opposite - people are more shocked when pirates aren't using glitches!

Captain Del 04-01-2012 11:36 PM

Even though the barrier that was created at the End of the World was not utilized to turn ships around, I highly doubt that it was intended to be used as a means of not allowing ships to attack you.

The matter is not so much of it being a glitch as it is an exploit, and the larger subject matter is if it is cheating regardless of what it is. While it is not a lack of our corruption of coding, it allows for pirates to become invincible, gather materials, and essentially progress forward in the game without facing a challenge. If I found a way to gain reputation without having to do anything besides sit on Tortuga and swing my sword at empty air, it would be considered cheating because I'm going farther in the game, and thusly gaining an advantage over other pirates, without having to face the same challenges as everybody else. What makes this any different?

My guild follows a simple rule of thumb when it comes to dealing and deciding upon whether glitches/exploits should be used: If it affects the game, the guild, or gives you an advantage over others, it is frowned upon. This "tactic" allows for you to become a stronger sailor/cannoneer without facing the challenge that was intended by the developers to block you from that level of power; and, no matter how much strategy and might it may take, my guild and thousands of other pirates have managed to progress through the levels of Ship Customization without needing to rely on a time-saving, challenge-killing exploit.

Admiral Johnny Seasteel 04-01-2012 11:39 PM

Hate to dash water on yer hopes, mates, but to me, it is NOT cheating because of the mere fact that, as I personally think, when using the "glitch" it tends to also make the ship in question disappear. However, I am also of the opinion that, while it's not considered cheating to me, it should also not be implemented too often and for too long. For me, the only reason that I do it is because I am still learning the ropes on doing solo material runs. Normally, I would have a powerful crew with me. If I didn't use this at times, the game would be very boring. But again, I both agree and disagree with yer well-put argument, Del. Hope this helps with those wondering whether this should be considered a debate or just a point of reference. Have fun, mates!!!

Dark_Pixie 04-02-2012 12:01 AM

It did get pretty bad on the ship. There was someone directly griefing Del in caps, and others complaining about the repairs that they had to do because Ben wasn't using the edge of the world 'tactic'.

Shark raised a good point about the bug. The people griefing us because we weren't using the bug actually felt that they had to use it because there was nothing else they could do. They were dependent on it. Then they took it out on Del and Ben, mainly, when they were told that we weren't going to use the bug. They were trying to convince us that the bug wasn't cheating, when it obviously was. Using a glitch in the game to become invincible.

As you probably gathered, I don't support the use of the bug. Hunters are challenging, yes, but they're supposed to be difficult. They're supposed to be hard even for fully mastered pirates. Using the edge of the world bug is completely missing the point, in my opinion. Perhaps there should be more ways of getting ship materials, but exploiting a problem in the game is wrong in my view. A good captain and crew can get loads of ship materials by pure skill.

I think what we all should have done was hit the ignore button and enjoy our peace. But I think the situation was handled well, and I applaud Ben for staying calm through all of it, despite being insulted by one of the crew members. I think Del sorted that one out pretty well though. :P

In short, I agree with what Del has said. I'm going to report the bug, and cross my fingers. I sometimes use bugs for a laugh, like the Phantom Spirits bug on the Black Pearl island, and the secret room in one of the Padres caves, but I would never use a bug to unfairly gain materials, gold or whatever it is I'm searching for. That's just missing the point of the game.

Crimson Rose 04-02-2012 04:40 AM

In my long experience with gaming, I've encountered many instances of people who are looking for any way they can to exploit situations to their advantage. They are not there to play the game, they are there to win.

The one thing that I have noticed about these people is, generally, they don't seem to be enjoying the game. They're not there to play, they're there to compete.

Funny, playing the game is more fun. You can enjoy it, even when you lose.

I can remember playing a strategy board game that - through sloppy self-confidence - I lost in the first half hour. I kept the game going for four hours, revelling in a tight defence that made up for my carelessness, even though I had a good idea I could never win. I still took pride and enjoyment in a good game.

Some people would have quit as soon as they felt they couldn't win. But I remember that loss with pride, more than I remember a lot of my wins.

Enjoy the game, but play it with honour!

Crimson Rose

Platinum Pirate 04-02-2012 05:10 AM

In all fairness, it is not cheating. Can't even say it's an exploit either. I have seen those bad captains still doing a bad job using that method. In fact, I would go so far as to say they become even more lazy when using it. That would include the crew. I'm talking about those gunners who don't lift a finger to repair at all. They just wait and shoot. Then there are those griefers who have nothing better to do but complain about how boring it is and there's no point in sinking ships because the cargo is full. They don't do anything but spam everyone's chat, especially the Captain's.

I can only imagine what you all experienced when you guys chose to no longer pursue that method for the reasons stated. Every man will act according to their conscience which we must respect. I respect your decision and the reasons that determined it. Please do not view the immaturity of such players to further justify your stance. Their conduct and behavior is a separate issue. I would rather have POTCO find certain measures to stop that damn nonsense from happening on board the ship and not so much spend their valuable time looking for ways to solve that glitch.

That glitch is no different than the fence at Kingshead where players train grenades on the Navy there. It's legitimate really. The real cheat or glitch would be the one on Foulberto that needs to end. How many used it to get Famed Knives? Or that other glitch to defeat the Ghosts? Or how about resetting that leaderboard if we really wish to see some honest numbers? Let's face it, those were not all honest gains made over the years by individuals and guilds alike. When you directly eliminate the enemy, then it should count towards your score. Indirect kills should not count at all, but they do and have been since who knows when. My young pirate yesterday simply sailed on a ship repairing while the others did the shooting, and earned those ships that sank at sea by them. Not once did I sink a ship that day. I was directly killing enemies at land only. That sure looks like cheating to me. Should I stop plundering with others to keep a clean record from now on?

Soleil 04-02-2012 06:07 AM

Most definitely cheating.

Possibly the cheat I hate more than any other in the game.
All it shows is that a player does not know how to sail, and does not care to LEARN how to sail. It is not all that difficult to sink hunters and warships, after a few times practicing. We do it often with as little as one gunner. More is faster of course). I used to heckle mates who did it, but I realized there was no point to that, and I try to be nice :) Their loss, they'll never learn to sail.

Charlotte Firemenace 04-02-2012 06:57 AM

It is absolutely a cheat.

Stephen O'Malley 04-02-2012 08:06 AM

A glitch is an unintended consequence of programming. If barriers weren't intended, well.... for one, POTC's server bill would skyrocket. Physics would not exist in POTC. And a lot more after that. Not to mention, this strategy has been around forever, it just used to be used more commonly on islands.

Exploit? It is using knowledge of the computer's AI to your advantage. One term is "exploitive". Another is "observant".

Cheating? Anyone can learn and do it. It's giving yourself the upper-hand against the game, not against another player. If you're so adamant that you refuse to do it, well, kudos to you. I guess you get more bragging rights. If you didn't know about this, well, it is is always great to learn! But to claim advantage over another player is a bit far-fetched.

I use the glitch and feel no shame in doing so. I personally don't see anything that suggests it being a glitch nor unintended which is why I have no shame. I think it's one of those things that are just "too good to be true". It makes hunters so easy that it's hard to accept as moral, ethical, or even intended.

Quote:

While it is not a lack of our corruption of coding, it allows for pirates to become invincible, gather materials, and essentially progress forward in the game without facing a challenge. If I found a way to gain reputation without having to do anything besides sit on Tortuga and swing my sword at empty air, it would be considered cheating because I'm going farther in the game, and thusly gaining an advantage over other pirates, without having to face the same challenges as everybody else. What makes this any different?
Firstly, it does not require no skill. And I hate hearing that. I have taught people this strategy and it is no walk in the park. Sure, it's easy to do once you've got it down, but not a minute until then.

And for the rest, I again call it being observant. The biggest consequence for facing a game without challenge is that it is not as enjoyable (depending on who you talk to). Some people just want to progress, some people want to work harder for it to feel accomplished in the end. I don't call it cheating. If you want a media experience that is static, go watch a movie or some TV. The same doesn't make sense with video games.

To each their own.

Mr. Awesome 04-02-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Del (Post 367714)
Do you believe that the "End of the World" glitch is cheating?

Yes.

Crimson Rose 04-02-2012 02:32 PM

There are some interesting opinions here. I think it is a pity the topic was not made into a poll so that we would have a more definite tally of how everyone feels.

Crimson Rose