Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Fansite & Forums (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   POTCO's Tips, Tactics, and Guides (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   "rapid fire" grenade leveling with General Darkhart ;) (https://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35321)

Littlebell 03-29-2012 06:00 PM

"rapid fire" grenade leveling with General Darkhart ;)

i thought i'd post this for anyone that wants to level grenades and hasn't otherwise figured this out. it's also based on being at the level to throw these grenade types. :pirate6:

while trying to level stuff recently, i've discovered what seems to be a slightly faster method to level grenades. any little bit faster is better than nothing. :piratewhip:

start with full grenades, and stand just past (south? of) the gun and sword shops. target Darkhart so that you can see the red circle (although it might just barely be visible). open with a long volley fireball, maybe 50-75% to reach him and not fall short or throw it over his head - neither helps. :laughks2:

when he runs up to you, hopefully he'll stop a short distance away and start throwing daggers. long volley a siege charge at ~50%. if you take damage, you're too close - back up a step. then alternate between long volley fireball at ~75% and long volley siege charge at ~50%. this seems to avoid the "skill not finished charging" message. if he doesn't switch to sword (and stay put), you might be too far away - move up a step, but not too close, or he'll just switch to sword and be done with it. it's possible to get him to switch back to dagger so you can try again, but it takes a lot of running around. :psmiley27:

each time you throw one, immediately switch to the other and hold the mouse button down right away - even before the previous grenade lands. i've found that by switching and trying to keep it "charging", it takes less time than using the same one over and over. :QuestInProgressBull

when you've thrown 8 siege charges at the same one, stop throwing those and alternate between long volley fireball at ~75% and long volley grenades (#1) at ~75%. over time, i've found that lets me take out at least 5 of him before i have to buy more grenades. sometimes his loot drops include what you're throwing. :12_1_138:

if the other wandering undead get in the way, let them; the extra points add up over time. if they're closer to me than Darkhart, i've been known to intentionally throw the next siege charge right between the two of them. it's not your fault if they're "standing too close when the super sauce takes effect". :laughks2:

as an example, i just went from grenade level 26 to 27 (~5,900 points) in about 2 hours. hope this helps! :dancetl6:

Crimson Rose 03-29-2012 08:37 PM

Sounds a little too complicated to me.

I stand at reasonable distance from Gen Darkhart and hit him with three throwing knives. He starts using throwing knives back. Then I switch to grenades and he switches to his sword ... and just stands there. (One of the handy little glitches in the POTCO game engine.) Well, about 9 times out of 10 he stands there. Then I bomb him at my leisure and wait for him to come round again. No need to do long volley or anything like that.

Yes, the underlings usually get in the way. Yes, they usually get blown to pieces before they can do anything. Yes, they are extra Rep ... usually +1.

If I want to do this solo, I usually pick a server that is not being heavily used.

Of course it's usually faster and easier if you're with a group and part of a crew. Why is it you get more rep with a group than alone? You should only get a percentage of the rep.

Crimson Rose

stpehen 03-29-2012 11:09 PM

An easier way to do this is throw it at him once from far, then keep switching between 1, 2 and 3. This will throw a continuous stream of grenades, it might show that it isn't charged, but it still throws.

Captain Sharktooth 03-30-2012 01:35 AM

You can also do this by just clicking the number on the keyboard that corresponds with the grenade you're using, and then rapid fire click the CTRL button.

So, instead of having to switch between regular grenades and Siege Charge, you can rapid click 1 and CTRL and you will rapid fire also. :)

Nate Swordwalker 04-02-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Rose (Post 367528)
Of course it's usually faster and easier if you're with a group and part of a crew. Why is it you get more rep with a group than alone? You should only get a percentage of the rep.

It almost shocks me how many times you have asked this question. Ever heard the phrase "two heads are better than one"? Getting a percentage of the rep would defeat the purpose of having a crew bonus in the first place.

Crimson Rose 04-02-2012 04:22 AM

So General Darkhart comes onstage to a hostile audience of eight pirates. He barely lasts 3 seconds. I almost don't even have time to get a shot in, and I'm certainly not in danger. For that I get full rep plus 50% and a full share in the treasure.

To me that just seems wrong.

Pardon me if I'm such a whiner.

Crimson Rose

Nate Swordwalker 04-03-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Rose (Post 367740)
So General Darkhart comes onstage to a hostile audience of eight pirates. He barely lasts 3 seconds. I almost don't even have time to get a shot in, and I'm certainly not in danger. For that I get full rep plus 50% and a full share in the treasure.

To me that just seems wrong.

Pardon me if I'm such a whiner.

Crimson Rose

You. Don't. Get. Full. Rep. If he lasts 3 seconds and you get 3 hits in on him, you'll get 20 rep or so, plus whatever your crew bonus is. You don't get 115 rep in 3 hits.